SOLVED FreeNAS as a VM - Raid controller pass-through hanging ?? (LSI-9240 8i)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Previse

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm new to FreeNAS. I've got an LSI 9240-8i Raid controller that is setup with Raid 5.

I've got ESXi installed on an SSD for my server box and have my vm's located there. I have FreeNAS 9.3.1 installed as well, and it boots/installs fine if the passthrough isn't enabled, but if passthrough is added via settings (Direct pass-through of the raid controller) it hangs on the following screen.

http://i.imgur.com/XKdAXrr.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Wait. What?! Why are you using pfSense documentation for setting up FreeNAS? They're two entirely different products! Secondly, you are using a RAID controller? Flash that to IT mode then use VT-d to pass through to the FreeNAS VM. Then at least FreeNAS will have a fighting chance of actually working.

Previse

Cadet
Wait. What?! Why are you using pfSense documentation for setting up FreeNAS? They're two entirely different products! Secondly, you are using a RAID controller? Flash that to IT mode then use VT-d to pass through to the FreeNAS VM. Then at least FreeNAS will have a fighting chance of actually working.
LOL! I'm completely out of it tonight. Assumed i was looking at something else, eitherway - That was removed.

Also, what IT mode firmware would i go about using?

EDIT: After reading http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/, i can see it's for official LSI Megaraid controllers. Going to give it a try now

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
LSI 9240-8i
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think this card can be cross-flashed...

If you are trying to install FreeNas as a VM, then I suggest you do some searching on these forums as to why this is NOT a good idea for important data; unless you really, really, I mean REALLY know what you are doing.

Previse

Cadet
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think this card can be cross-flashed...

If you are trying to install FreeNas as a VM, then I suggest you do some searching on these forums as to why this is NOT a good idea for important data; unless you really, really, I mean REALLY know what you are doing.

I was able to flash it just fine to work as a HBA.

It's installed as a VM through ESXI with 16Gb Ram, 4 Cores and on a 8GB Thick provisioned Partition. The 9240-8i (Flashed to IT now) is being passed through VT-d. It isn't being stored on datastores or any of that nonsense. FreeNAS has direct access to the Drives, no middleman.

Also we can mark this as solved. For anyone in the future looking around for a straight answer - You CANNOT use the stock 9240-8i firmware (No matter which version). You have to flash the card to IT mode. I have an LSI MegaRaid 9240-8i and this guide worked just fine (http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/) along with the files he supplied.

If you chose to go back to stock firmware, the section he put works as well.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.