BUILD FreeNAS and run ESXi cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinas

Contributor
Hey guys i want to build a FreeNAS machine but not sure what kinda spec to go for.

I was looking into a few servers but i only want it to run FreeNAS and have ESXi on it so i can run a few virtual machines. I'm just looking for something cheap like a second hand server or second hand desktop machine.

I'll more than likely never have more than 2 VMs and FreeNAS running at once.

A couple of the things i would want in the machine would be :

-low power consumption

-USB 3.0

-Not noisy. I'm in a rack room most days at work and don't want to be listening to server fans when I go home.

-4 or more SATA 3 connections (can always buy a sata controller if there is a free PCI-e slot)

One question regarding the ESXi can I have this installed on the FreeNAS managed HDD's or does it need its own dedicated HDD?

Any help would be appreciated before I go searching fleabay for a machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP

Grinas

Contributor
Hey thanks for the link but i read most of the posts in each of those threads before i posted. as i say in my post im looking for a second hand machine as it wont be a new build.

Grinas

Contributor
I was looking into a dell t3600 but decieded against it. ill probably go down the ts140 or t20 route that is recommended on a few threads here

Last edited:
What's your budget? The Xeon D series is very low power and packs quite the punch.

The Supermicro X10DDV-4C-7TP4F might be a good fit. It has 20 SATA ports (16 via the SFF headers), 10Gb expandability with the SFP+ ports, supports up to 128 GB's of RAM and is very power efficient.

As far as the ESXi data goes, you can use a small SSD as the data store for all the VM's. Helps them install/boot quicker.

Grinas

Contributor
What's your budget? The Xeon D series is very low power and packs quite the punch.

The Supermicro X10DDV-4C-7TP4F might be a good fit. It has 20 SATA ports (16 via the SFF headers), 10Gb expandability with the SFP+ ports, supports up to 128 GB's of RAM and is very power efficient.

As far as the ESXi data goes, you can use a small SSD as the data store for all the VM's. Helps them install/boot quicker.

I don’t want to spend more than €500 on the everything excluding the HDD's. I will only be using 4 HDD’s max. No need for me to get the machine u suggested.

I already have a spare 120gb SSD lying around so that’s part of the EXSi is taken care of.

I’m looking at the Dell T20 now, but looking at the dell T360 it offers a lot more bang for the money. From searching the forum I can’t find any threads mentioning t3600 I’m assuming that means it is not particularly compatible FreeNAS.. Would the power consumption used by the t3600 be similar to the dell t20?

Regarding the T20.
I’m assuming no one would recommend the Intel Pentium G3000 processor model t20? They are a lot cheaper and I’m just wondering if I bought it, would I be able to swap the processor in a few months if it didn’t meet my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.