FreeNAS and Cisco SFP+ link not goint up

nyquist

Dabbler
Hi !

First time using 10G networking for iSCSI purposes. Everything seems to be recognized OK, interfaces are there and I'm able to create VLANs, aggregate ports, etc.. but the link is never going up.

1596674394211.png

On the other end, there is a VMware ESXi 7 that was connected to this server, so I know cards/fibers/SPF+ are OK.
I also tried disconnecting the FO patch cord from the FreeNAS server and connected it to a Cisco switch, it worked OK.

HP ProLiant DL-380 G9
HP native 10G Dual port NIC (with 2 Cisco SFP+)
RAM x 64G
8 x 3TB SAS 7200RPM
4 x 1.8TB SAS 10K RPM

I'm using FreeNAS 11.3 U4.

Could the Cisco SFP+ connectors be incompatible with FreeNAS?

Regards,

Attachments

• 1596674300432.png
    1596674300432.png
    41 KB · Views: 191
That is certainly a possibility. What do you see in the log or in show interface on the switch?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Have you done the obvious, like flipping the cables to ensure TX->RX on both sides?

ornias

Wizard
Are you certain the HP SFP+ card is compatible with Cisco SFP+ modules?

nyquist

Dabbler
Hi!

Sorry for the delay, covid-19 lockdown kept me out of this customer's office for a week.

That is certainly a possibility. What do you see in the log or in show interface on the switch?
I don't have screenshots, I'll take a few ones today.. but a "sh interface status" show interfaces as Connected.

Have you done the obvious, like flipping the cables to ensure TX->RX on both sides?
No Sr.
But I don't think this will be necessary, since the current setup was working with a VMware ESXi 6.7 prior to FreeNAS installation.

Are you certain the HP SFP+ card is compatible with Cisco SFP+ modules?
To be honest, no, I'm not. But what it makes no sense to me is that it worked OK with the previews installation :(

I'll be posting some screenshots and updates of any new findings.

Regards,

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I’ve had issues in the past between my FreeNAS and the mikrotik switch not playing nice on reboot and the issue only being resolvable by rebooting the switch.

it may or may not have had to do with jumbo frames (I only use a 1500 MTU now).

nyquist

Dabbler
To clarify the current setup, there is no switch in between both network cards. I tried connecting both ends to a switch in order to discard problems and test SFPs and FO patchcords actually works.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
One other thing that took my network adapter down was a software update by OSX / Apple. Had to reauthorize the driver to allow the card to work.

Are you sure the connection features a known-good cable, properly-seated connectors, and so on?