FreeNAS 9 network adapter comparability question

Status
Not open for further replies.

falukky

Explorer
Hi,

i had bad experience with FreeNAS 7 and my motherboard that not supported my network adapter so i had to buy PCI network adapter.
now i want to replace my old machine and thinking of this motherboard.
this mother board have 2 LAN adapters:
  1. Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)(LAN1)
  2. Atheros® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)(LAN2)
can anyone told if at least one of this 2 adapters supported by the newest version of FreeNAS ?

Thanks

falukky

Explorer
1. What are the advantages of server motherboard ?
2. I need 6 SATA connectors on the motherboard (i have 8 drivers and PCI-e SATA card)
3. I already have KINGSTON Hyper X (2X4GB) 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 KINGSTON : 1087 Original CL9
memory kit - this will fit ?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
1. What are the advantages of server motherboard ?
Stability and performance. By stability, I mean avoiding situations that can lead to pool failure and losing your data. I manage some servers that are close to a decade old, running 24x7, and have not had hardware failures. Server hardware is built to a much higher standard.

2. I need 6 SATA connectors on the motherboard (i have 8 drivers and PCI-e SATA card)
PCI-e SATA card may not be a good idea. It is better to use an IBM M1015 or LSI 9211-8i host bus adapter flashed to initiator-target (IT) mode. Once again, this is due to performance and stability considerations. You don't want your storage pool to behave erratically.

3. I already have KINGSTON Hyper X (2X4GB) 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 KINGSTON : 1087 Original CL9
memory kit - this will fit ?
No because it is not ECC.

falukky

Explorer
Yes but the question is if this price (the cost double than desktop components) worth my purpose, my current server is running usually only in the evening.
BTW that wound happen if suddenly the motherboard die and if i am using another motherboard, all my stuff are lost or the new motherboard will recognize my drivers array ?

Status
Not open for further replies.