Freenas 9 installation trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekille12

Cadet
I am trying to install freenas 9.1.0. But when I get to the console setup it freezes and stops responding. Does anyone know how to solve it?

Edit:
Here is some more info: im am trying to install it to an usb stick. When the usb stick is not plugged in it runs fine but with the usb stick it freezes at he console. If anyone needs more info please ask

gpsguy

Please provide the information requested in item 3 of the Forum Rules.

In addition to your hardware details, do you see error messages on the console? Take a screenshot with a camera/cell phone and include it with your reply.

thekille12

Cadet
Please provide the information requested in item 3 of the Forum Rules.

In addition to your hardware details, do you see error messages on the console? Take a screenshot with a camera/cell phone and include it with your reply.
Here is the info you requested:

Freenas 32 bit
intel celeron CPU 2.60Ghz
Ram 512MB
HHD ATA Maxtor 6Y080L0
Sitecom 54g usb wireless lan adapter version RT2800
And here is the Photo :
MHEJmLW.jpg

as you can see there is not text or terminal to see things from.
I hope this is info enough

gpsguy

Please read the documentation. 512Mb is an insufficient amount for FreeNAS. And, I don't think your NIC is supported.

thekille12

Cadet
After trying some things i got it working via freenas 8.3. But now i have the problem that i cant connect to wifi. The network i told about is an usb one. Is there anyway to get it working?

gpsguy

As I said before FreeNAS is not a good option due to the amount of RAM you have. It's not enough, even for version 8.x.

You might want to see if NAS4free might work. It's a different program -- you'll need to go to their website for the software and support for it. Please don't Ask us for help on it - we don't/can't help you.

Sent from my phone

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
After trying some things i got it working via freenas 8.3. But now i have the problem that i cant connect to wifi. The network i told about is an usb one. Is there anyway to get it working?

Good luck. You are literally trying to fit a Ferrari v12 onto a vespa.

Your hardware is not good enough to run FreeNAS. Stop trying to use that hardware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

thekille12

Cadet
Good luck. You are literally trying to fit a Ferrari v12 onto a vespa.

Your hardware is not good enough to run FreeNAS. Stop trying to use that hardware.

It is working, thats not my problem anymore. only the wifi via the dongle isnt working. And i just wanted to know if there is a way to get it working. Again the spec's in the pc arent the problem

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If it was working then it would be working.

Which is it? It's working or it's not working?
Sounds to like you are trying to make something work that simply will not work....

Based on your listed specs, the hardware IS the problem, since it doesn't even meet minimum requirements.

Basically this system will not be stable. Doubt me all you want, but I don't want to hear any complaints from you when it starts crashing all the time, which it will because 512 mb is not enough. Period. End of story.

thekille12

Cadet
It is working. I can connect perfectly when i got it connected via an ethernet cable. but now im trying to get it working via wifi. But it doesnt recognize the dongle as an nic to connect to the modem

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It is working. I can connect perfectly when i got it connected via an ethernet cable. but now im trying to get it working via wifi. But it doesnt recognize the dongle as an nic to connect to the modem
And it won't.

Why do you not understand that?

Why do you think your hardware is sufficient for FreeNAS? Because you can connect to it? Have you created shares? Have you put any load on it all to see if it can handle simple cifs transfers?

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't understand. You obviously have access to use ethernet... Why would you SEVERELY trap yourself in slow WiFi? The whole point of a NAS is to provide reliable speedy file server for your network... just one person using your NAS could easily choke your transfer speed. The problem is worse if you live in an apartment complex with a million other wireless networks.

gpsguy

Your wireless NIC is not supported. And even if you did have adequate hardware and a working wireless NIC you would be complaining about extremely poor performance.

But it doesn't recognize the dongle as an nic to connect to the modem

pirateghost and I are not trying to be mean. If you go down this road trying to use FreeNAS on your equipment you might end losing your data. We are trying to prevent you from making that mistake.

Do look at NAS4free since, I believe that it's minimum RAM requirement is -512Mb which is a better match for your hardware.

Sent from my phone

Edit: fix spelling mistakes

thekille12

Cadet
Your wireless NIC is not supported. And even if you did have adequate hardware and a working wireless NIC you would be complaining about extremely poor performance.

Pirate ghost and I are not trying to be mean. If you go down this road trying to use FreeNAS on your equipment you might end loosing your data. We are trying to prevent you from making that mistake.

Do look at NAS4free since, I believe that it's minimum RAM requirement is -512Mb which is a better match for your hardware.

Sent from my phone

Ok ill take a look at that. but it works fine when i have i connected to ethernet. Also im just using it as backup not for streaming because the modem cant handle that

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok ill take a look at that. but it works fine when i have i connected to ethernet. Also im just using it as backup not for streaming because the modem cant handle that

I will reiterate because it seems you ignoring all warnings.

Your hardware is not stable enough for FreeNAS.
You WILL have issues with this setup.

When you lose all your backups, do NOT come in to the forums crying about it because you have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.