FreeNAS 9.2.0-BETA now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi Folks,

It gives us great pleasure to announce the first public release of FreeNAS 9.2.0: FreeNAS 9.2.0-BETA!

As the name implies, this is not the final release of 9.2.0, but we are confident that it is production quality release nonetheless. This confidence stems from the fact that we have been testing it extensively for weeks now and have done quite a bit of QA on it, as well as living on daily snapshots ourselves. We have bled first so that you hopefully do not have to, in other words, but by all means please test this release as extensively as you can so that any remaining issues can be ironed out before 9.2.0-RELEASE is rolled (hopefully in just 3 weeks, depending on how this testing goes). That is the whole point of a public BETA, after all, so we hope everyone will submit their feedback without delay!

Since 9.1.1 was released, we have fixed 113 bugs in the bug tracker, as well as countless others that were found and fixed independently of the bug tracking system.

We have also made a number of enhancements to the UI and generally done our best to bring more polish to the FreeNAS system, both in usability and performance. Those doing benchmarks against 9.1.1 and 9.2.0-BETA should notice some measurable improvements on any reasonably capable hardware.

The documentation is currently being adapted for 9.2.0, so some rough edges still exist there. In particular, the new FreeNAS API docs are still a little out of sync with what’s on the web site so please see the documentation that comes with the source code (see release notes) for the most up-to-date and definitive documentation.

Should you encounter any bugs in this release, or wish to submit enhancement requests, please visit http://bugs.freenas.org and by all means file a bug! We use the bug tracking system quite religiously and screen bugs on a daily basis, so filing a bug report is the best way of making sure that any issues do not get lost!

We also have the FreeNAS forums for general discussion and encourage everyone to use them. Finally, the FreeNAS developers also hang out in the #freenas IRC channel on FreeNode in their copious spare time should you wish to discuss things more in real-time.

We are very proud of this release and the hard work that has gone into it! We are also tremendously grateful to the many people who have taken the time to file bugs, fix bugs and send us pull requests, post helpful comments in the FreeNAS forums, or otherwise be a part of the ever-growing FreeNAS community. You folks are what make it fun! Thanks!

If you didn’t follow the link in the first line, the bits are in http://iso.cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/BETA/

Regards,

- The FreeNAS Engineering Team

Release Notes for FreeNAS 9.2.0-BETA
  • The Kernel UMA allocator is now the default for ZFS. This results in higher ZFS performance.
  • Avahi (multicast DNS, aka Bonjour) registration of all services, including the web service, means you no longer need to have a head on the box to know its IP address, even for initial configuration. freenas.local is the default (or freenas-n.local, where n is the # of freenas.local machines already on the local network). This can be changed by changing the hostname.
  • The built-in admin user account is no longer used and the Admin Account removed. The first time the FreeNAS graphical interface is accessed, a pop-up menu will prompt for the root password. Subsequent logins to the graphical interface will require this password.
  • The plugin system now offers in-place updates for plugins, also
    segregating installed plugins from available plugins to make the UI
    less cluttered.
  • A complete REST API has been created for FreeNAS, allowing a FreeNAS instance to be controlled remotely. See examples/api in the FreeNAS source repository (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/master) for some examples of this in action. Complete API docs are available in docs/api.
  • The "Permit Sudo" field has been added to the add and edit screens for Users and Groups. A column in View Groups and View Users now indicates whether or not "Permit Sudo" has been set.
  • HTTP and HTTPS access to the FreeNAS graphical interface are no longer mutually exclusive. The fields "WebGUI HTTP Port" and "WebGUI HTTPS Port" have been added to System Settings -> General.
  • An "Edit" button has been added to the "Hostname" field of SystemInformation to make the hostname easier to change.
  • The results from the latest ZFS scrub now appear in Volume Status.
  1. The Add Apple (AFP) Share menu has been simplified and a "Default umask" option has been added.
  2. The "Server Name" field has also been removed from AFP; in Netatalk 3, this value is automatically derived from the system hostname.
  3. "Enable home directories" and "Home directories" options added to AFP.
  • The AIO options have been removed from CIFS.
  • Fourteen TLS-related fields have been added to the Advanced Mode of FTP.
  • An "IPv4 Address" column has been added to the View Jails screen.
  • A shell button has been added to Jails, making it easy to access the command line of the selected jail.
  • A "Create directory" checkbox has been added to the Add Storage function of a jail so that the user does not have to first access the jail's shell to make sure that the directory already exists. A "Read-Only" checkbox has also been added to this screen.
  • A jails templating system has been added, allowing the quick deployment of new jails from existing templates and the ability to create custom templates. Linux jail support has also been added and installation templates are included for Debian-7.1.0, Gentoo-20130820, Ubuntu-13.04, Centos-6.4, Fedora-19, and Suse-12.3.
  • A link to the online FreeBSD manual pages has been added to Help.
  • Added bxe(4) driver for Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet 10Gb PCIe adapter.
  • Added padlock(4) driver which provides cryptographic hardware acceleration for VIA C3, C7 and Eden processors.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I notice that the ISO is 1.2GB which now requires use of a DVD. Why is it so much larger (almost 3x) than the previous version?

Yatti420

Wizard
Great news.. The GUI update is 166mb here.. I also see the standard disk iso as 1.2gb..

Update went fine other then the usb 3.o issue.. Mine was working with XHCI enabled via usb3 port on FreeNAS911.. Had to hook mine up to USB2..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah I'm messing with it now in a VMWare Player VM, and there are some idiosyncracies that weren't there before. I'll try to make a list and see if any are relevant.

Also, the proftpd service not starting up whenever a syslog dataset is present is still an issue. That's a popular one that we get reported in the forums pretty frequently...

J

jkh

Is there a bug already filed for the proftp + syslog dataset issue? Just want to make sure that one doesn't fall through the cracks as it's kind of an unusual combo (most users don't have syslog dataset, or use FTP; I can see how that one fell through the cracks in our testing!). Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's odd. It's in the forum so much that we actually snap at posters that don't bother to read the already existing threads! lol. There HAS to be a bug filed on it...at least I always assumed.

But if you want to reproduce it, you can, in 2 seconds. Create the syslog dataset, now try to start proftpd in the services menu, and you won't be able to. 100% of users on 9.1.1. experience it.

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm having issues with TLS+FTP again... Service wouldn't start after update.. I'll have read through ftp docs in a bit..

cyberjock

Inactive Account

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, what cyberjock said.

Also, yeah, I *PROMISE* you *ANYONE* can reproduce this bug easily. Make a fresh FreeNAS install, make a ZFS pool of some kind, then, create a syslog dataset at the root of the pool.

Now, go to services, and start ftp.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, reboot after creating the dataset to bring it online.

J

jpaetzel

FTP with a syslog dataset thing is fixed. Will be available in the RC (didn't make the cut for 9.2.0-BETA)

Fixed images with the correct size will be available shortly.

J

jkh

I notice that the ISO is 1.2GB which now requires use of a DVD. Why is it so much larger (almost 3x) than the previous version?

This is now fixed! The new 9.2.0-BETA images are up and much, much smaller. The only changes made were to the build process, however, so if you've already upgraded to 9.2.0-BETA you can just stick with it - there's no need to upgrade again. This is largely for the benefit of new installers who won't have to download an ISO full of extra junk that's not used.

Yatti420

Wizard
jkh the images are fixed.. Thanks..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Was USB3 + Haswell fixed ?

I asked this in IRC earlier. It appears that USB3 is now disabled by default again(as it was in 8.x when USB3 support was introduced). Apparently the USB3 support wizard for FreeBSD is a volunteer and is pretty busy with life stuff, so we're just kind of all waiting for a permanent fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.