Freenas 9.1 disconnects after a couple minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Hello all,

I am new here but have been using freenas for just about 2 years. I recently reloaded my server with the new version of FreeNas and have been running into some issues.

The main issue I'm having is that my server will disconnect from my network but I can still ping the jails. I try pinging out from the freenas shell and get failed responses.

I have changed NIC's, reloaded the server, changed the flash drive it boots from but still the same issue. It seems to happen after jails are added for sab, SickBeard, and couchpotato. Any help would be much appreciated. I've been slaving at this for weeks.

My hardware is:
Board: Intel 3200sh
Proc: Xeon dual-core 3Ghz
Ram: 8GB
Drives: 6 x 500GB in raidz1
Boot drive: 8GB flash drive

D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages on the freenas system? Is freenas getting its IP from a DHCP server or is it staticly set?

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Anything in /var/log/messages on the freenas system? Is freenas getting its IP from a DHCP server or is it staticly set?
I'll check the log after work. I wasn't sure where logs were kept to tell. I tried to pay extreme attention at boot time to see if anything specific came up but did not notice anything. My devices on my network are statically assigned by my firewall (Sophos UTM). The jails are set in the .50 to .60 range and can be seen on a subnet ping but not my FreeNAS at .125.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Ok I checked where you had mentioned. I had to take snapshots since I couldn't connect to the LAN. Posted after this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 185

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Continued...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 193

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have no clue. As soon as I look up your motherboard model I get a board that isn't yours. At that point I close the tab and stopped looking since I can't help you without being able to look at google.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Your screenshots indicate it got a new IP address.
That address in one of the final screenshots is the reserved address it receives from the DHCP server on my network (.125). I am unable to connect to it on the LAN nor ping out through the FreeNAS console (shell) itself.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Recommend you remove those jails you mentioned in the first posting and run your NAS for a while to ensure the problem is related to the plugins. If things work fine then add one plugin at a time and test the system for a while. Add the next plugin and so on. You already have said it seems to be related to the plugins, now you need to weed through them to figure it out. I'd also look at the messages within the plugings, see if there are any errors there. Unfortunately I do not use those plugins so I can't help you there however there are folks here that can help provided you give them some good information.

Also, you might try to statically assign your IP address in FreeNAS vice letting your DHCP in your router do it. This might fix it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That address in one of the final screenshots is the reserved address it receives from the DHCP server on my network (.125). I am unable to connect to it on the LAN nor ping out through the FreeNAS console (shell) itself.
This sounds like a network issue, change to a static address first. Also, where are you pinging to/from, is this all a wired connection and is your router stopping it? If I type "ping www.google.com" then I get a favorable response.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Recommend you remove those jails you mentioned in the first posting and run your NAS for a while to ensure the problem is related to the plugins. If things work fine then add one plugin at a time and test the system for a while. Add the next plugin and so on. You already have said it seems to be related to the plugins, now you need to weed through them to figure it out. I'd also look at the messages within the plugings, see if there are any errors there. Unfortunately I do not use those plugins so I can't help you there however there are folks here that can help provided you give them some good information.

Also, you might try to statically assign your IP address in FreeNAS vice letting your DHCP in your router do it. This might fix it.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I'll try what you suggested and let you know. Thank you.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
This sounds like a network issue, change to a static address first. Also, where are you pinging to/from, is this all a wired connection and is your router stopping it? If I type "ping www.google.com" then I get a favorable response.

I 'll change it to static and disable the plugins/jails to narrow it down if possible.

I am either pinging from another device to the NAS or from the NAS shell itself. I've tried pinging the LAN and external IP's and hostnames as well. Usually it has connection for about 5 min but then for some reason it doesn't. What's really weird is I can still connect to the webgui of the plugins but not of freeNAS itself.

joeschmuck

Old Man
In your original posting you said you changed the NICs. That was not mentioned in the hardware listing also according to the webpage you provided there is an onboard NIC. I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the NICs are all active and you need to move the ethernet cable around. Again, static IP's will give you total control and only setup the NIC you are using.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Sorry for the late response. The time I have to work on my own server equipment is few and far between. It seemed to be resolved after setting the network settings for each jail with the gateway and such. They could have possibly been fighting for network connection which then removed it from FreeNAS in favor of the jails. Who knows. It has been up and working just fine for the past month. Thank you for your assistance and suggestions.

How do I mark this thread as solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.