FreeNAS 8.X will not see drives on Highpoint 640L Raid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bblades262

Cadet
Hello all,
I am having a lot of trouble trying to get FreeNAS to recognize the four SATA drives i have attached to this HighPoint RocketRAID card. I'd like to JBOD the drives and have FreeNAS manage the RAID. I've stepped through the postinstall script that comes with the drivers but the last part of it (starts with mount | grep devfs -s -q || if [ "5" != "x" ]; then) doesnt seem to do anything.... I dont know if this means anything either, but output in dmesg looks odd, might just be able to be ignored though: i see entries for (aprobe0:ahcich0:0:0:0): Unexpected signature 0x14eb. The other three are similar, but its numbered 0-3.

Can anyone assist me in getting the drives to be seen by FreeNAS?

postinstall script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ARCH=`uname -m`
OSREL=`uname -r | cut -d- -f1`

echo "Post Install for rr64x"

if [ ${ARCH} = 'amd64' ]; then
	DRIVER_SRC="/mnt/rr64x-${OSREL}-${ARCH}.ko"
else
	DRIVER_SRC="/mnt/rr64x-${OSREL}.ko"
fi

if [ ! -f ${DRIVER_SRC} ]; then
	echo "error: driver not found"
	exit 1
fi

echo 'Copying driver'

case ${OSREL} in
5.*|6.*|7.*|8.*)
	cp -f ${DRIVER_SRC} /boot/kernel/rr64x.ko
	;;
4.*)
	cp -f ${DRIVER_SRC} /modules/rr64x.ko
	;;
esac

echo 'Configuring system'

if [ -f /boot/defaults/loader.conf ];then
	cp /boot/defaults/loader.conf /boot/defaults/loader.conf.old
fi

echo "rr64x_load=\"YES\"" >> /boot/defaults/loader.conf

mount | grep devfs -s -q || if [ "5" != "x" ]; then
	if [ ! -c /dev/rr64x ]; then
		echo -n "Creating node /dev/rr64x: "
		mknod /dev/rr64x c 200 5
	fi
	if [ ! -c /dev/rr64x ]; then
		echo "failed!"
		exit 1
	fi
	echo "successfully."
fi

echo "End of rr64x Post Install"
echo 'type "umount /mnt" then remove the driver diskette from floppy'
exit 0

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Did you try 8.3 BETA? Maybe the drivers are builtin there...

If not, just install freenas on a USB flash drive and do follow the script... copy the .ko to /boot/kernel and add a tunable "rr64x_load" with value "YES"

bblades262

Cadet
Did you try 8.3 BETA? Maybe the drivers are builtin there...

If not, just install freenas on a USB flash drive and do follow the script... copy the .ko to /boot/kernel and add a tunable "rr64x_load" with value "YES"

I did try the beta, with no luck. i didnt add the tuneable so i will do so now. is that with, or without the quotes? Thanks!

bblades262

Cadet
I did try the beta, with no luck. i didnt add the tuneable so i will do so now. is that with, or without the quotes? Thanks!

Looks like without the quotes since i saw a "syntax error" during boot when i had the quotes in. but the drives still dont show. I dont have any Virtual disks set in the raid controller, im trying to use ZFS to control the raid.

anything else i can try? I also have an LSI MegaRAID 8344ELP i can use if i should...

burt123

Dabbler
Looks like without the quotes since i saw a "syntax error" during boot when i had the quotes in. but the drives still dont show. I dont have any Virtual disks set in the raid controller, im trying to use ZFS to control the raid.

anything else i can try? I also have an LSI MegaRAID 8344ELP i can use if i should...

Hi bblades262,

I am having the exact same problem, and being a newbie, I have no idea how to add that script / tunable or whatever it is.

It's a real PITA, I'm using 8.3.0 final, but prefer 8.04, there are a few features that seem to have been "lost" since 8.04.

Would be great to ge the 640L to work the way "we" wanted it to.

Cheers

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does the controller load hard drives as "legacy" disks in the controller BIOS? The HP website says that the controller supports JBOD, but that doesn't necessarily mean legacy. If the drives are not detected as "legacy" then I'd recommend you get a different controller since a RAID mode is not recommended for FreeNAS.

burt123

Dabbler
It has an AHCI mode, which I thought would work, it's a bit confusing as ALL hard drives are shown in the booting / posting text of FreeNas, but then the disk that are attached to HP card aren't in the GUI :(

I have a basic SI card, but it has trouble recognising the drives very early in the POST :(

Also noticed that if I setup 4 disc's in an Intel RAID with the motherboards controller, FreeNas seems to split the raid, as it shows them as individual disk's, then when you got back to the M/B setup, the raid has been deleted, and it's back to single disc's.....weird!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I believe the Intel RAID is a software raid.. so weird things happen there.

As for the HP card if you read the highpoint stickied thread some highpoint cards don't properly acknowledge and use "legacy" disks without a partition table and a partition that the card recognizes. I know that ZFS is NOT recognized. Pretty sure that UFS won't be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.