FreeNAS 11RC - VM Networking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiSlickix

Dabbler
I have a test FreeNAS system running on a Dell 5040 (i7-6700 w/ 16GB of RAM) with a single intel nic.
See Attach 01
Attach 01 - FreeNAS Server - Hardware Information.png

I setup a zvol for VM storage on a SSD, and setup a 60GB volume for a test Windows 10 VM. The physical disk this zvol is located on is a SSD.
See Attach 02
Attach 02 - Storage - zvol setup.png

Networking Settings for the FreeNAS system can be seen in Attachments 03 & 04. Pretty standard 192.168.0.0/24 network.
Attach 03 - Network - Global.png Attach 04 - Network - Summary.png

ISO's for media were dropped onto a SMB share. I then setup the VM. The VM was given 2 cores, 4 GB of RAM, an intel 1000 series nic, and a AHCI storage controller. (Note: if anyone believes there are major advantages to using VirtIO across the board, or for any one specific device, please feel free to chime in.)
Attach 05 - VM Settings - 01.png Attach 06 - VM Settings - NIC.png

Windows 10 installed fine and boots without issue. All hardware seems to be recognized fine. The problem I am having is guest OS isn't getting any network connectivity. On DHCP, Windows 10 guest doesn't receive an IP address from the DHCP controller that the VM Host (Freenas) is networked with. Giving the VM guest a known good IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS on the same range as the host also does not work.
Attach 07 - Win10VM - Device Manager.png

So... what setting did I misconfigure on FreeNAS to get VM's an IP address?

Thanks

Brer

Explorer
Is the interface alive, i.e. do you have a loopback response from ping 127.0.0.1 and are you able to ping your gateway or nameservers from the VM? Did the interface register anything at all, ipconfig /all.

xiSlickix

Dabbler
Is the interface alive, i.e. do you have a loopback response from ping 127.0.0.1 and are you able to ping your gateway or nameservers from the VM? Did the interface register anything at all, ipconfig /all.

Welp, this was my own dumb fault. I had not specifically set the DNS and Gateway Routing in FreeNAS at the time I setup the VM guest. While the guest was booted, I configured the network settings in FreeNAS and rebooted the guest a few minutes ago. Where as FreeNAS is is 192.168.0.170, the vm guest is 192.168.0.171 and can now ping other devices, open network shares, load webpages, etc.

Moral of the story: Setup all the network configuration on FreeNAS before firing up a VM, even in a test environment.

Thanks for the reply Brer!

Status
Not open for further replies.