FreeNAS 11 RC - VM console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmuk

Dabbler
OK, after the FreeNAS Corral fiasco, I have decided to get on FreeNAS 11 band wagon. There is a new VM menu. I have created a VM added a NIC and Disk device, started and the VM and the status shows as RUNNING.

Now how do I logon to the damn thing? What interface is the NIC on the VM bridged to on the host (mine has many VLANS) ? How do I access the console of the running VM?

Am I missing a (perhaps well known) trick?

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBee

Wizard
Did you look at the user guide in FreeNAS 11?

short-stack

Explorer
The user guide is pretty vague.
Code:
If a VNC port is present, use VNC client software to connect to that port for screen output and keyboard and mouse input.

If your NAS has multiple IPs on multiple VLANs it will listen on the VNC port you set on all interfaces.

For an example, say one IP is 192.168.1.5 and you set the VM port to 5905.

Download VNC Viewer from RealVNC (I know OS X's built in VNC client 'Screen Sharing' does not work with bhyve) and open a connection to 192.168.1.5:5905. It should pop right up. You might need to click edit on the display device and uncheck the box for 'Wait to boot' in order for VNC to start right up before the VM fully boots.

Last edited:

jkmuk

Dabbler
Well having played with it for some time, I did find somethings. So here it goes, if someone is looking at this thread with a similar problem

1. It has to be through VNC so add the VNC device to VM if you have not done so already
2. VNC on my mac and windows machines did not play well and I had to resort to a Java based VNC viewer which worked perfectly (just google it if you facing a similar issue)
3. You connect to the IP address of the host (freenas machine IP on the specified VNC port) to connect to the VM

With this you should be able to connect to the VM. (As pointed out please untick the 'wait for boot' so that you can see if the VM is stuck in the UEFI prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.