FreeNAS 11 + Pfsense Router - Non-functional LinuxMint VM with IPV6 Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Tijori

Dabbler
Hello chaps,

Note: This post includes (potential) questions on both - FreeNAS & Pfsense.

So a very curious issue. As some might be aware, recently setup a Pfsense box and started playing with Suricata (amongst other packages...its quite false-positive happy). My impression was there were no devices running in my network on IPV6. Hence, I unchecked the IPV6 box in Suricata (see the attached photo below). It turns out my LinuxMint VM was using IPV6 and now it wont connect.

Question: Is this new VM functionality developed to leverage IPV6 network by default? Or is it because it was available and enabled it used that instead of IPV4 to establish connection on my network?

Step taken to resolve:
Restarted FreeNAS server after turning off IPV6 in Suricata & disabled IPV6 network connection from within Linux Mint. Did this in hopes that Pfsense in conjunction with FreeNAS server will assign a IPV4 address using DHCP on restart - No go still.

Suggestions/comments/observations welcomed.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 407

D-Tijori

Dabbler
Bump

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Well first I would point out that the world is moving to IPV6, it has been around for 20 years after all. We are out of IPv4 addresses. Kind of behind the times if IPV6 isn't working. I actually have more IPV6 traffic than IPV4. IPV6 is the future.

Your problem is really likely the Linux Mint, or a setting in FreeNAS. I would suggest you set a static IPV4 address and gateway to see if that works. Then you will know that the networking in FreeNAS is okay, and then move to diagnosing why the DHCP is not working.

You can do advanced things like a packet capture on the pfSense box LAN port and load the resulting file in to a copy of Wireshark. You should be able to run Wireshark on Linux Mint, or at least do a a capture using tcpdump. You can then see where things are going wrong.

I'm running Corral, so I can't check for tcpdump myself in FreeNAS, but it should be available. Don't overlook the gateway setting, you can only have one! If you have multiple interfaces in Linux Mint, only put a gateway in one of the interfaces. That settings is global across all interfaces, not a per interface setting.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.