FreeNAS 11 crashes suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeltegani

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm new to FreeNAS, I installed FreeNAS 11 a couple of weeks ago everything went fine, created datasets and created windows shares and started to dump files to it.

But the system crashes every once in a while, sometimes when I'm writing to the shared folder, sometimes when I'm running emby or plex on my xbox or my tv box, then I can't access the UI and the processor fan speed gets very high and I have to hard reset the box and starts it again.

Processor: AMD ryzen 5
Memory: 2x 8GB ECC memory
Samsung SSD 500GB
1x 4TB WD red
Asus prime motherboard

Support please..

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Processor: AMD ryzen 5
Ryzen is a new platform, so it's not entirely implausible that it may be the cause. FreeNAS (and FreeBSD) are typically 6-12 months behind when it comes to newer hardware.

Other common issues for random crashes are a faulty PSU or bad RAM. Have you tested both the PSU and RAM?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What are you using the 500GB SSD for?
Asus prime doesn't tell us anything about the system board except that it is a gaming board. What is the model number?

The fan being high makes it sound like it could be a thermal issue. Since this is a gaming rig, did you overclock it?

You may need to update the BIOS / UEFI as there have been updates to many of these systems due to how new they are.

Just because your processor and RAM both support ECC does not mean that they system board does.

aeltegani

Cadet
The model number is x-370-pro and it does support ECC.
I updated the BIOS when I bought it a couple of weeks ago.
I didn't overclock it.
I'm using the SSD for jails, I installed FreeNAS on a flash drive if that's what you are asking for.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You setup a Jails dataset on the SSD and installed Emby and Plex.
You setup a media dataset on the HDD and copied over your media.
You are booting from a USB flash drive.
Have you done any troubleshooting? Did you look at the SMART test logs from either of the drives? Are you able to see any errors (if the BIOS logs them)?

rs225

Guru
Asus shows a BIOS released for this board on:
June 26
August 11
August 18 (version 0810)

You probably should check the BIOS again.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try burning in your system? Memtest for a week. Drive burn in for 3 days and CPU burn in for a day. This will make sure your hardware actually works correctly. After that you can start looking at freenas compatibility issues.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

rs225

Guru
With this Ryzen bug, AMD is handling it with RMAs. It sounds like it may be a manufacturing variance that was not being properly tested.

So once BIOS is out of the way, the OP may need to consider that possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.