FreeNAS 11 and iocage-style plugins: pkg repo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamtaro

Dabbler
I'm setting up a new FreeNAS box, and started experimenting with the new iocage-style plugins.

I was a little surprised to see that they resolved to relatively old packages. Plex Media Server, for example, was on the 1.4.4 series.

http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/iocage/All/

Is there a policy or goal around this package repository to keep things stable versus bleeding edge?

D

dlavigne

For now, the plan is to merge in the latest packages each quarter as they are based on FreeBSD quarterly packages.

adamtaro

Dabbler
Thanks. That makes sense for a huge class of users, but I think that'll push me towards something a bit more hand-maintained, at least for plex media server.

D

dlavigne

Once iocage stabilizes (i.e. we get closer to 11.1 release), updates will occur more often as each has to be QA'd and the QA team is busy getting 11.0 out the door.

adamtaro

Dabbler
Okay, thanks! That context helps.

I misunderstood how "baked" iocage was, as the future of jails & plugins.

So I read it as a "preview" that's not ready for prime-time.

scrappy

Patron
I'm setting up a new FreeNAS box, and started experimenting with the new iocage-style plugins.

I was a little surprised to see that they resolved to relatively old packages. Plex Media Server, for example, was on the 1.4.4 series.

http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/iocage/All/

Is there a policy or goal around this package repository to keep things stable versus bleeding edge?

To have the latest packages in FreeBSD edit /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with the following:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

Now you will receive the newest Plex Media Server packages available.
Code:
root@megaplex:/ # pkg search plexmediaserver
plexmediaserver-1.5.6.3790	 Plex Media Server component
plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.7.2.3878 Plex Media Server component
root@megaplex:/ #

adamtaro

Dabbler
To have the latest packages in FreeBSD edit /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with the following:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

Now you will receive the newest Plex Media Server packages available.

Thanks!

That's interesting, and I need to try this out. I note that this thread started out being about the new iocage plugins, though, and the pkg.cdn.trueos.org path is baked into the plugin definition.

Is the plugin design meant to be resilient to userland config changes like what you describe?

scrappy

Patron
Thanks!

That's interesting, and I need to try this out. I note that this thread started out being about the new iocage plugins, though, and the pkg.cdn.trueos.org path is baked into the plugin definition.

Is the plugin design meant to be resilient to userland config changes like what you describe?

I probably wouldn't make any changes to ~/FreeBSD.conf on a plugin-based jail install. Do this if you're building from a standard jail and want pkg to pull from the latest repo.

pschatz100

Guru
I have been able to set up Plex two ways: 1) via the plugin, and 2) by hand (creating a jail with iocage, then using pkg to do the installation.) Both work OK. With the advice from @scrappy I was able to update my second installation to the latest version of Plex.

Iocage seems pretty straightforward to use and I'm looking forward to having it integrated into the FreeNAS GUI.

raidflex

Guru
I was trying switch to the latest repo but I do not see usr/local/etc/pkg/repos folders. There is no pkg folder when in the iocage jail. I know can build from ports, but pkg make thing very simple.

EDIT: Found Freebsd.conf under /etc/pkg

Last edited:

rmccullough

Patron
I know this thread is a bit dated, but how safe is it to modify my Plex plugin/jail (not hand-built) to point it at the newer pkg repository? Should I update the FreeBSD.conf or the iocage-plugins.conf? What URL should I use?

D

dlavigne

I know this thread is a bit dated, but how safe is it to modify my Plex plugin/jail (not hand-built) to point it at the newer pkg repository? Should I update the FreeBSD.conf or the iocage-plugins.conf? What URL should I use?

Did you try this? If so, what was the result?

rmccullough

Patron
I have not. I would like to update Plex to a more recent/current version, but I don't want to break it either.

hervon

Patron
I have not. I would like to update Plex to a more recent/current version, but I don't want to break it either.

Create a snapshot of this jail than try to update. If it fails, restore the snapshot.

rmccullough

Patron
@hervon I have been trying to figure out how to create snapshots on 11.2. I think I have this setup now, but really I am not entirely sure. I feel like I need to create snapshot tasks for each Jail.

hervon

Patron
You can make a manual snapshot of a specific jail.

rmccullough

Patron
@hervon can you point me to the documentation that explains how to do that? Thanks.

hervon

Patron
Info here : https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Snapshot Management
iocage supports transparent ZFS snapshot management out of the box. Snapshots are point-in-time copies of data, a safety point to which a jail can be reverted at any time. Initially, snapshots take up almost no space, as only changing data is recorded.

List snapshots for a jail:

iocage snaplist [UUID|NAME]

Create a new snapshot:

iocage snapshot [UUID|NAME]

This creates a snapshot based on the current time.

raidflex

Guru
Is it typical for the plexpass version to be a little behind?

Updates are usually fairly current I am showing that both the Plex-Pass and regular version are up to date. Unless you are using the Plugin which may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.