FreeNAS 11.3 - How to prioritize interface member in LAGG

MikeyG

Patron
In 11.2 there was a way to prioritize an interface in a LAGG configured for failover. I'm no longer seeing this option. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Basically, the LAGG priority number as seen here:
1580325611731.png

Joachim1975

Cadet
I would also need this. I am using 10gbit primary link, with a failover to 1gbit.

My workaround was to remove the active interface, which was the 1gbit from the lagg. I then got just one active connection which was the 10gbit. Then I re-added the 1gbit interface on the fly, and it became the failover.

I don't know what will happen if I reboot the box, but since we reboot maybe once a year, we can live with this for now.

But I would suggest that setting priority into the gui be implemented back into 11.3.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
File a bug for this. There seems to have been quite a few features removed from the GUI that are needed for people.

MikeyG

Patron
I submitted https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-104883 a while back. The short answer is that IX is aware it's missing, agreed it needs to be added back, and doesn't plan on doing so any time soon because it's complicated.

Joachim1975

Cadet
It doesn’t seem that hard from what I can see on the FreeBSD config example. The first laggport will be the primary and the second will be failover port. However I am not sure how freenas does it’s config.

ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport em1 10.24.116.2 netmask 255.255.255.192

A side note it’s quite simple to do manually in the web GUI. i have a cheap netgear xs708t, and it has 2 year uptime now. Also FreeNAS server var booted first time in 440days. And just because of upgrade. Also VMware cluster is using the same failover.. works as a charm, got much better uptime on this low cost network setup compared to the previous Cisco nexus switches. :)

MikeyG

Patron
It doesn’t seem that hard from what I can see on the FreeBSD config example. The first laggport will be the primary and the second will be failover port. However I am not sure how freenas does it’s config.

You can look at the ticket, but for WebUI implementation there seems to be a conflict with HA and TrueNAS. Why it's difficult is far beyond me. Obviously you can get around it various other ways.