FreeNAS 11.2-U5 and BSD Boot Loader woes (Dell H/W and ESXi)

drabels

Cadet
Hello,

Is anyone else having trouble with newer editions of FreeNAS that use the BSD boot loader?

I've done some searches, and some of the problems people seem to be having with the BSD boot loader may be related to USB sticks, but this does not apply to my case.

I recently upgraded a FreeNAS system which I manage with the following specs:

Dell R620 (updated to latest firmware, as of the beginning of July, system is 2014 era)
Avago/LSI 9300-8E SAS Controller
SuperMicro 90 Bay JBOD
Internal Perc Controller, Mirrored SSD drives as boot volume ONLY

It went from the 11.1 stream to 11.2 and with it of course came the change from grub to the BSD boot loader.

The upgrade appears to work well, but only on subsequent reboots (once the GRUB loader is replaced) does the problem emerge.

What I get is this:

A.png

It has no trouble discovering my boot volume (freenas-boot) but this is as far as it gets.

(I did try some debugging with 'ls' at this point - it would complain about "too many files open", but I did not obtain a screenshot - I can provide this later if needed...)

There is however, a work around. If I power everything off, and then only start the server (but not the SuperMicro enclosure) the boot loader works and the system starts!

So what I've been having to do to get this thing to fire up properly, is turn on the SuperMicro enclosure at the FreeNAS boot screen, after all the normally BIOS initialisation. I then leave it for a few minutes for enclosure to initialise.

This happens if I use the EFI or MBR boot loader. I have tried both and I have tried re-installing a few times (I have a config backup.)

Once FreeNAS has successfully finished booting, everything functions as normal.

Out of curiosity, I thought I would then try to replicate a similar situation in ESXi (6.7) as the system above is in production and it can be difficult to find the right time slot for debugging.

I installed a 11.1-U7 system with a boot disk and a SINGLE data disk, just for testing. This worked fine, until I upgraded to 11.2-U5.

Upon starting, the boot loader gets stuck:

B.png

Now, if I disconnect the datadisk and reboot - voila! It boots without any difficulty...

It's tempting to ask ... What am I doing wrong? :confused:

But maybe some sort of work-around to stop the FreeBSD boot loader from "seeing" other non-boot volumes would be acceptable?

Regards,

Daniel

drabels

Cadet
A quick update.

It turns out, I was missing some pertinent information from my opening post.

A drive had failed in the SuperMicro enclosure. I did not think this would have any effect on the boot process, but it did.

Today I replaced the failed drive, and for a test I rebooted the system (expecting it to fail) - and it just booted as per normal!

So a missing and/or failed disk appears to have stopped the BSD bootloader in its tracks.

I then ran into a bug in the new UI when replacing multi-path disks, as reported here:

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101599

The portion of the UI dealing with the disk replacement was showing disks which were already used (!) and was not showing the new multi-path device. Switching to the legacy interface showed everything correctly. Diabolical.

I'll be looking to downgrade to 11.1 after this... No more bleeding edge for me.