FreeNAS 11.2 setting LACP member mtu crashes system

Status
Not open for further replies.

anfieldroad

Dabbler
Hi,
I have been trying to set the member interfaces of an LACP bonded interface to MTU 9000 as below:

options: mtu 9000 up

But as soon as I apply it then FreeNAS crashes and resets the system, when I have plugged a monitor into the system I see it resets the system with a crash message on the screen but unfortunately it was too fast to photograph.

I have had to set mtu manually at the command line as a workaround but this does not persist across reboots.

Is there any solution to this? If not, how can I set the change permanently from the command line rather than the UI.

anfieldroad

Dabbler
NIC is an HP NC360T

Since upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2 I now find my workaround to set using:

ifconfig em0 mtu 9000

no longer works:
ifconfig: ioctl SIOCSIFMTU (set mtu): Invalid argument

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi,
I have been trying to set the member interfaces of an LACP bonded interface to MTU 9000 as below:

options: mtu 9000 up

But as soon as I apply it then FreeNAS crashes and resets the system, when I have plugged a monitor into the system I see it resets the system with a crash message on the screen but unfortunately it was too fast to photograph.

I have had to set mtu manually at the command line as a workaround but this does not persist across reboots.

Is there any solution to this? If not, how can I set the change permanently from the command line rather than the UI.

The best solution is to disable jumbo. It sucks and shouldn't be needed on semi-modern hardware.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jumbo-frames-notes.26064/

What you're doing is potentially wrong anyways. You set the member interfaces to the highest possible MTU (9214, etc) and then set the lagg interface to the desired MTU. Failing to do this may seem to work or may actually work but may cause other pain points. Most of the drivers do not have exhaustive coverage of all possible MTU-related foo, so when you throw vlans etc in there it can break spectacularly again.

If you want to persist this, you could theoretically put in a post-boot task to set your stuff up manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.