FreeNAS 11.1 with jails. Version mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich

Dabbler
Hi,
two weeks ago we set up a new FreeNAS box (11.1-U4). It is the destination in a migration from a older FN 11.1-RELEASE box w/ a couple of jails. Taking the essence of several threads here ("install new jails instead of migrate them") and for some cleanup purposes on our side, we created new jails on the destination box and prepped them for hosting the services we used served by the old box.

After a while, inside on of the new jails some glitches came to light. Starting e.g. dovecot, this message showed up: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/libdovecot.so.0: Undefined symbol "fdatasync". An indication that DC from the binary pkg mismatches to that shared object.

Host system:
Code:
root@fiji:~ # freebsd-version
11.1-STABLE
root@fiji:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD fiji 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #2 r321665+366f54a78b2(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed Mar 21 23:04:13 UTC 2018	 root@gauntlet:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

One of the jails:
Code:
root@helium2:~ # freebsd-version
11.0-RELEASE-p1

The jails have been set up with help of the GUI, which was straight forward and a large template has been downloaded during jail setup. The collection URL under Configuration tab is
Code:
http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/11.1/jails

This is also not good which started today. Yesterday we were able to install a lot of packages w/o a problem.
Code:
root@helium2:~ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[helium2] Fetching meta.txz: 100%	944 B   0.9kB/s	00:01
[helium2] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%	6 MiB   6.4MB/s	00:01
Processing entries:   0%
Newer FreeBSD version for package qct:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1101001
- running kernel: 1100122
Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]:

Does anyone know better than us what went wrong here? Can anyone come up with a solution or a fix for this stuck situation? Thanks in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Warden jails (i.e., jails created through the old GUI) are using a FreeBSD 11.0 template. To use FreeBSD 11.1 (and therefore match the FreeNAS version), you'll need to use iocage--either use the new GUI, or create the jail at the command line.

Erich

Dabbler
Warden jails (i.e., jails created through the old GUI) are using a FreeBSD 11.0 template. To use FreeBSD 11.1 (and therefore match the FreeNAS version), you'll need to use iocage--either use the new GUI, or create the jail at the command line.

Hi danb35,
thanks for your speedy reply!

We chose the abovementioned (GUI) path after we unsuccessfully gave iocage one a try on the command line. That went exactly like this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-after-update-from-11-1-u2-to-11-1-u4.62818/ (same error messages while attempting to start a manually created iocage jail).

So we went with the present (GUI) way. Which is to our understanding the present and most recent GUI on the FN 11 stable train, not the "old GUI". This might differ from the nightlies, which we aren't using.

What is the best way to get out of this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So we went with the present (GUI) way. Which is to our understanding the present and most recent GUI on the FN 11 stable train, not the "old GUI".
The GUI that is presented by default in 11.1-U4, the most-recent stable release, is the old GUI. The new GUI is accessible from the login window by clicking on the link at the bottom of that window.

Unfortunately, there's a small bug in the iocage networking code. It can be temporarily fixed by doing this:
Code:
cd /tmp
git clone --recursive https://github.com/iocage/iocage
cp -R iocage/iocage/lib/ /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage/lib

The permanent fix should be in FN 11.2.

Erich

Dabbler
The GUI that is presented by default in 11.1-U4, the most-recent stable release, is the old GUI. The new GUI is accessible from the login window by clicking on the link at the bottom of that window.

Unfortunately, there's a small bug in the iocage networking code. It can be temporarily fixed by doing this:
Code:
cd /tmp
git clone --recursive https://github.com/iocage/iocage
cp -R iocage/iocage/lib/ /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage/lib

The permanent fix should be in FN 11.2.

The patch did the trick. Thanks danb35.

Before success, I stumbled over the fact, that 'old' jails, created prior the patch, would behave like the patch hasn't been applied. Only after destroying and creating new jails everything ran and still runs smoothly.

I like iocage. It's much like zpool and zfs commands.

Archaniel

Explorer
uff, just got to this error. So bad :(
is there ANY way to upgrade a jail created via "old UI" ?

/rant on:
I switched to the "beta UI" and just got saddened. Guys at iX ... pleaaaase get yourself a UX and UI designer. Please. The new UI is utter crap without any logic, most of the stuff is randomly thrown here or there, zero contrast etc :/
/rant off

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And it's already been stated by @dlavigne that the team will be focusing on function first and polish at a later date. If you're curious as to how the function part is coming don't judge it based on 11.1, take a look at the nightlies.

Terydan

Dabbler
I just built my first FreeNAS box and installed 11.1-U5 a couple weeks ago. This is my first time working with FreeBSD or jails. I built a standard jail via the gui and installed plexmediaserver. There has since been an update and when ssh into the server, jexec to my jail, and run pkg update I get warning.

Newer FreeBSD version for package p5-Module-Implementation:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1101001
- running kernel: 1100122
Allow missmatch now? (Y/n):

Which option should I choose, and how to I fix this? Can i just update the jail or do I have to rebuild it? If I rebuild it, how would I go about that without losing my media server?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
and how to I fix this?
If you will search the forum it's been discussed numerous times that 11.1 and the current UI use Warden for jails management. Warden is being replaced in 11.2 and is no longer supported. If you can't wait for 11.2 then you will have to create your jails using iocage and the CLI. Again, search the forum for tutorials on how to accomplish this.

Terydan

Dabbler
Sorry, I did see those posts, and I was very unclear. I understand the EOL of the warden jails from reading posts. I was searching for the best solution and found this thread. The previous reference was to 11.1-U4 and you had mentioned about using the new UI to create the jails. I am on U5 and don't see any options at the login to choose the new UI so I though maybe I was on the new UI and that I might be on the newer jails and it just wanted an update. Like I mentioned, I have never used jails so I don't know what the difference is or how to tell. I didn't know if it was simply telling me the jail container had an update or something.

So if I am going to rebuild, do I just build a new one through the CLI (which I will have to search the forums to figure out how to do so) and point it to my existing jail storage location (again having to search out how to do)and it will pick up my existing plexmediaserver install and just work, or do I have to re-install plexmediaserver into the new jail and rebuild my library into it?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So if I am going to rebuild, do I just build a new one through the CLI
Correct.
and point it to my existing jail storage location
Running iocage active name_of_your_pool will create a dataset for iocage and install your jails there. You will have to reinstall Plex in your new iocage jail.[/cmd]

Status
Not open for further replies.