Freenas 11.1-U7 and Mellanox Connectx-2 Won't stay connected during transfers

Roveer

Dabbler
I put 2 Mellanox Connectx-2 cards in FreeNAS and my windows server. It worked, but I did have trouble mapping drives from time to time. Now every time I try and transfer something across the 10gb link the drive map disappears and the transfer fails.

I configured FTP on FreeNAS and tried a FTP client from the windows box and it too failed a few minutes in.

Are there any known issues? I'm in the process of reading the 10GB post, but I'm not sure my particular problem will be addressed.

I also see Chelsio cards are preferred. Can anyone make a recommendation on which? I'd like to get reliable 10GB transfers between my server and FreeNAS box

Thanks,

Roveer

I had some troubles with the ConnectX-2 and FreeNAS if jumbo frames were enable, it would stop working after large transfers, rebooting FreeNAS would fix it, later upgraded to the ConnectX-3 and no more issues.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This sounds like overheating ... How is the airflow in this case?
That's a card that requires good airflow for cooling.

Roveer

Dabbler
Its in a Dell R510 with fans pretty low. CPU and MB Temps are good but you never know what the card is at.

Strangely I was able to get a large transfer with no issues so it's very hit or miss. If it continues I might just rig a fan on it so see if it helps.

But I just tried another large transfer and it failed. At this point I'm not even sure what side it's failing on. Could be in the ms windows server or could be failing in the FreeNAS box. Going to try and look at some logs to see if I can find anything.

Last edited:

Roveer

Dabbler

Not thinking I have an overheating problem. I just iperf'd between the two machines across the 10GB link for 10 minutes without a hiccup. Transferred 683 GB at 9.77 Gb/s. I'm going to mess around with the Windows drivers. There has always been some strangeness with these drivers.

Roveer

Dabbler
I put a different Windows driver on the server, checked/re-seated the cards (on both sides) and haven't had a disconnect issue since. Only been about a week, so let's see how it goes.