FreeBSD 10.2 in FreeNAS jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlavigne

Nope. You can run a jail version older than the host, but not newer than the host OS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Nope. You can run a jail version older than the host, but not newer than the host OS.
I'm glad you answered this Dru. I thought the answer was what you said, but I didn't want to answer wrong.

How does that work? The jails share the kernel, right?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ifin you want to run a newer version of FreeBSD on FreeNAS your going to have to spin up a virtualbox VM and install it there.

balanga

Patron
If, at some point, if I upgrade FreeNAS to 10, when it comes out, will any jails be automatically upgraded?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If, at some point, if I upgrade FreeNAS to 10, when it comes out, will any jails be automatically upgraded?
I don't think jails get upgraded but I'm sure there is a way to upgrade all the userspace packages. Does anyone know how to do this or if it's possible?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you asking if the jail template gets updated to support FreeBSD 10 jails should you want to create new ones or if the currently installed jails/plugins get updated to the newer version?

I'm only speculating here, I have no formal knowledge however I would think the jails that were in existence before the upgrade would remain where they are at. Also any new jails would require the new jail template to be downloaded which would be compatible with FreeBSD 10.

Now that is if you do not consider that with FreeNAS 10, as far as I understand there will be a game changer in town, a new VM application called Bhyve and with all hopes it will be a fully featured VM environment. Again, I have not been keeping up with the new FreeNAS 10 development so I could be way off base here, I just hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.