FQDN and Freenas as Domain Controller

Dreded

Explorer
Hello, I am trying to test FreeNAS as a Domain Controller however I can't even seem to get past step 1.

A bit of background...
So my Hostname on the Dahboard reads as DCTest.office.company.com because the FQDN of my router is office.company.com so in the netowrking setup I entered "DCTest" as the hostname and office.company.com as the domain resulting in the above.

Now here is where my issue comes and I am assuming I just don't understand the question...
In Services>Domain Controller > Configure

as per https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Se...ctory_Domain_Controller#Parameter_Explanation
I set the realm as AD.OFFICE.COMPANY.COM and the domain as AD

then in Directory Services >Kerberos Realms
the listed realm is AD.OFFICE.COMPANY.COM and the KDC etc is DCTest.office.company.com.ad.office.company.com

this doesnt seem right to me.. what am I doing wrong?

D

dlavigne

Out of curiosity, why are you configuring a Domain Controller rather than the AD service?

Dreded

Explorer
Out of curiosity, why are you configuring a Domain Controller rather than the AD service?
isn't the AD Service for connecting to a Domain Controller? I want to set it up without a windows server.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
isn't the AD Service for connecting to a Domain Controller? I want to set it up without a windows server.

The "Domain Controller" feature is slated to be removed as a Service in FreeNAS 11.3. You will still be able to join an AD domain, but not be able to operate as an Active Directory domain controller. Eventually (hopefully soon) either Timur (the FreeBSD samba port maintainer) or I will fix domain provisioning on ZFS sysvol on FreeBSD again (for samba 4.10 or samba 4.11) and you'll be able to run the domain controller in a FreeNAS/FreeBSD jail.