folder redirection to freenas server

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertw

Dabbler
hi all,

i have set up a freenas server with a cifs share and i can connect to it on my windows pc

i have created a GPO with folder redirection and i have linked it to the OU where i have all my users that i want it to do the folder redirection

the thing is its not working, when i log onto a pc with a user within that OU it doesnt redirect my folders as when i right click my documents its still located on my local drive and not the network drive

on my cifs share when i log into it as admin i have set it so everyone has access so the folder redirection has full access so it can make the directorys

i attach screenshots of both the GPO and the permissions

Attachments

• redirection.zip
    166.3 KB · Views: 233

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can configure a dataset owner in the FreeNAS GUI. When posting here you should also provide any log messages from FreeNAS and any other possible interesting information which includes your hardware specs. One last thing is what you are doing might be a little out of scope for this forum and your issues are with how you have configured AD and the Clients. I don't think folder redirection has anything to do with FreeNAS.

robertw

Dabbler
you cant do folder redirection to the freenas server as obviously the freenas server cant join the domain, so folder redirection doesnt work with non doamin nas servers

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why can't you join freenas to the domain?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you can see the users/groups from AD they you have added it to the domain. So i'm not sure what you mean by "cant add the server to the domain". With redirection that is entirely a AD/Client configuration unless you can provide freenas logs that show error messages.

watch this: https://youtu.be/qkJ80RsRIM8

robertw

Dabbler
mmm...

because when i get my freenas server to sync with AD it can look up users/groups but when i go into my dataset and want to change permissions to my owner to my domain administrator i cant, it doesnt show up (see screenshot)

Attachments

• dataset_permissions.png
    dataset_permissions.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 332

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That is because you need to make the modifications in the windows security tab for the share.

robertw

Dabbler
but i cant even log in the share using windows explorer, it wont let me log in, even as the root user
i cant set the dataset permissions to a local administrator using the freenas web gui

Attachments

• permissions.JPG
    permissions.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 273

robertw

Dabbler
success i have done it!

i added a new user account (administrator) via the freenas webgui and made it the new dataset owner and i made a CIFS share for the new dataset

i added the domain users (tu1) (tu2) to the freenas webgui, the user accounts must be the same username/password they use to log into the domain

i then logged in to a windows machine as administrator and accessed the cifs share via windows explorer, i then made 2 subfolders tu1 and tu2 and then went in both sub folder properties deleted everyone and added the respective user to their subfolder

also in everyones subfolder i had to add 2 other sub folders, Desktop and My Documents, if i didnt it wouldnt work

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just a word of warning.. you should *only* be doing what you are doing, when the FreeNAS server is on the domain. Clearly you aren't.

This will all work fine, in the short term. You're going to find serious problems (missing files, etc.) later on and you'll be scrambling to figure out what went wrong.

This will not end well, as I have seen this firsthand with someone that it doesn't end well unless you know exactly what you are doing. To be blunt, you don't sound like you know exactly what you are doing, and the problems aren't likely to be obvious until it is too late and you realize the files are lost.

GeoffK

Dabbler
Mmmm, add the server to the domain as has been stated (Directory Service -> Active Directory) - if this isn't being added, then check that you have DNS resolution to your domain, that you're using the FQDN for the "domain name" and that your time on your freenas host is within 5 minutes of your DC.

Then on the dataset, I've left root as the owner "user", and change the owner group to domain admins - then managed the requirements from Windows - including FolderRedirections, Home drives, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.