FN8.2 on Atom D525 w.4GB RAM - any point in going to GbE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_betiuk

Cadet
Hello,
A quick question for now - is there any point in thinking of dumping my current router (quite good anyhow, good old Asus WL500GP V2) which makes my whole home network run at 100Mbps) and buying something GbE-capable like all my other devices if have a low-speced NAS (as mentioned above: Intel D525MW, 4GB DDR3 RAM - max for the board's chipset, 2 Barracudas LP in ZFS mirror)? I mean, now I get about 10MBps over Samba, my server is lightly loaded serving as a backup destination for 3 PCs, maybe a UPNP server when I get it to work at last. I know there have been FN builds utilizing Atoms so maybe someone could just tell me if there is any possibility of getting higher transfers from/to such weak machine?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi g_betiuk,

Why replace the router at all? Get a gig-e switch with an appropriate number of ports and connect all your wired devices to that, then connect the switch to the router.

An Atom can do more than 100 meg ethernet, I'd think you should be able to get double or triple what you are getting now.

-Will

warri

Guru
I have a similar setup (D525, 4GB DDR2), and the system can do up to about 40MBps over Samba, but only around 10-15 MBps over SSH - probably due to encryption.
This is achieved via an onboard Realtek 1Gbps card, which due to many reviews also is not the most performant one.

So yes, you should be able to get higher speeds - even with the default build of FN :)

jlray

Cadet
Hi g_betiuk,

Why replace the router at all? Get a gig-e switch with an appropriate number of ports and connect all your wired devices to that, then connect the switch to the router.

An Atom can do more than 100 meg ethernet, I'd think you should be able to get double or triple what you are getting now.

-Will

This is exactly what I've done.

CIFS share over UFS write speed at 90+ MB/s. A little bit slower over ZFS at 70+ MB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.