fixing/adjusting the Plex plugin config or reinstall

seanshankus

Cadet
I'm totally new to TrueNas (12.0 core), and was moved a bit to fast with installing the Plex plugin (latest as of Monday), nothing major, it runs fine, just under the root user :smile: (again, i was kind of amazed i got all the storage stuff working and just went for it). I didn't realize it till when i looked at my library and noticed that not all my content showed up even though i could see it in the dataset. when I looked at the filesystem i noticed that not all the permissions were the same across the folders and files. I changed everything to root:wheel 755 and re-scanned and then they showed up. BUT that made me realize my real mistake of the incredibly stupid that I didn't setup anything user/group wise.

So i guess my question is: is it easier/better to uninstall the plugin, create the plex user:group and reinstall plugin OR "fix" the current install. IF so what do i need to change beside the dataset permissions (and where)?

Thanks in advance
Sean

stualden

Explorer
I'm a long-time Plex and FreeNAS user, but I just upgraded to TrueNAS and decided it was time to take a fresh look at all my plugins and jails. On the basis of that experience, I would recommend that you ditch the Plex plugin and use this script instead to build a well-structured jail with an associated cron job for regular updating. If you follow the instructions precisely, you will be up and running in no time with little or no special handling.

seanshankus

Cadet
I'm a long-time Plex and FreeNAS user, but I just upgraded to TrueNAS and decided it was time to take a fresh look at all my plugins and jails. On the basis of that experience, I would recommend that you ditch the Plex plugin and use this script instead to build a well-structured jail with an associated cron job for regular updating. If you follow the instructions precisely, you will be up and running in no time with little or no special handling.
Interesting, i actually like the idea of digging into this more to understand the nuts and bolts, but why ditch the plugin? just fun DIY reasons or is there something you find ... distasteful?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The plugin tends to be updated quite slowly, so @danb35 wrote that script to have a custom plex jail that updates much faster.

stualden

Explorer
The script also saves configurations and metadata outside of the jail, which is a better (and safer) arrangement.

Roll-your-own jails are also definitely more "fun" than plugins (which of course use jails), but if you read the jail section of the doc carefully, you'll see that they aren't scary at all.

ThreeDee

Guru
plus .. the plugin is stuck on 12.1 .. whilst a home grown jail can be on 12.2 .. that's .1 mo' bettah'

stualden

Explorer
.. that's .1 mo' bettah'
Precisely. And in my case, the plugin jail version refused to move off of 11.3-RELEASE-p14, so that was way les' bettah'...