First time M1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
hi,
so yesterday i recived my m1015 (lsi9220-8i)
i had been reading around that you should flash it to IT, but i dont exactly get all the points to flash it.

i went trough a couple of guides : https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-match-driver-version-16-for-dev.25925/page-3
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Is it really nessesairy to flash the card ? because i have it running in my freenas now and it works fine in jbod.
i unplugged my previous build and plugged the card in, connect everything and it worked fine. so what is the exact advantage of flashing to IT ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
alright that cleared it up why i need to flash the card.

What does sas2flash -listall say?
i know thats a command for flashing it, but honestly its chinese to me

thats why i asked, the other reson was because this guide : http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ start with telling we are going to flash a lsi9220-8i (the one i have) and then a little further he is telling about a lsi9240 is this the same ?

sfcredfox

Patron
When I did mine, I cheated a little bit and installed the card in my windows machine. I downloaded a windows version of SAS2FLASH (which I think came with the firmware download from the LSI site).

I just followed the same steps you see people posting very carefully. It wasn't that bad.

Doing it with windows eliminated some of the booting environment issues and I knew if windows could see it had a card, I could flash it properly. If you can't see a card (any unknown card if it doesn't have drivers), that might be a problem.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
I downloaded a windows version of SAS2FLASH
But i need version p16 for it to work properly correct ?

i am going to install the card in my windows machina and see what it does

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
well the card shows up as an unknown device, it should be good if i install drivers for it right ? and then do the flashing

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
i just flashed it with this tutorial : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files/?page=3
works fine, but as my freenas says i thing its firmware p15 so i have to upgrade it.
how does the upgrading flash go ? like this :
Code:
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)

sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)

but then with the p16 ?

This is the guide i followed http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ :

Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode
Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick >
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)
<reboot>
Done!

I installed the optionROM on ALL 4 of my cards ( 1 in FreeNAS 3 in another server)

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
yes i did that and it is working fine, butt freenas says that the version does not match a driver. basicly i need to go from p15 to p16
but i dont know how to do that, do i need to do the same steps over again or ?

Yes far as i know do the same steps, just replace the P15 with P16 firmware name and such

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
i just have to download the p16 off off the lsi's archive ?

Correct, just need the P16 firmware in the same place you found the P15, should be the LSI archives indeed

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
Yes that should be the one you want, heres a direct link for it. http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public...P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

I found it by going to LSI's downloads page and putting in

"Component type: Storage
Product Family: Host Bus
What product: LSI SAS 9211-8i
asset type: firmware"

Selected Archive , and scrolled for "9211_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows " which should be the same one you found, you can also use the UEFI one i think if you have a UEFI BIOS...i have an oldddd pc i keep around just for MS DOS stuff

FunSkilZZ

Explorer

just where i found it to :)
i am gonna try it tomorrow, il keep u posted

well i do have a newer pc butt i flashed it on my server, just because thats the only one with 2 pci e slots, the rest has one and no onboard :P the borad i used was a maximus formula

Thanks for the help already :)

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
a quick question, wich of the downloaded files do i need to replace ? all off them like the sas2flsh ...

CoteRL

Dabbler
I just did this last week. Yes you have to follow all the steps again, and the only file you need to update from your original steps is 2118it.bin from the v16 download.

Code:
<boot to USB stick>
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
< reboot, back to USB stick >
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin
< reboot>

I stripped out the "-b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)" part of the sas2flsh command since unless you really need the BIOS for some reason, it seems to be the recommended route to go.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
it flashed succesfully, thanks for the help ! :)

Z300M

Guru
Yes that should be the one you want, heres a direct link for it. http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Host Bus Adapters/Host Bus Adapters Common Files/SAS_SATA_6G_P16/9211_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

Selected Archive , and scrolled for "9211_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows " which should be the same one you found, you can also use the UEFI one i think if you have a UEFI BIOS...i have an oldddd pc i keep around just for MS DOS stuff
LSI is now part of Avago, it seems, and they demand that I register -- but I have to select a product category to which I want access, and there is no category that I recognize as covering HBAs

Status
Not open for further replies.