BUILD First time build, few questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoreanJesus

Dabbler
Hi all,

Im planning to deploy this build at home for media consumption and some downloading.

For the media consumption i will be using plex to stream to several devices and for downloading i will be using transmission and couchpotato

The Hard drive setup will be 4x2TB WD red in raidZ

first things first, not sure which mobo&cpu combination is better
option 1:
Asrock Mini-ITX C2550 (C2550D4I)
Has alot of sata ports and low TDP
CPU also seems better

option 2:
Mobo: SuperMirco MBD-X10SAE
CPU: Intel Pentium G3420
Has alot more expansion
can eventually upgrade to Xeon

Ram: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 ECC

Case and PSU already sourced.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You realize this kind of question has been answered dozens of times.. the answer really boils down to "depends on what is important for YOU"

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Low TDP is meaningless unless you are restricted by cooling or power. Any modern processor will idle at very low power.

For single-threaded stuff, the Haswell will easily outperform the Atom.

As cyberjock said, you're the one who has to decide. If you don't want to think, hire someone who'll think for you (They're called "analysts" or "consultants").

KoreanJesus

Dabbler
For single-threaded stuff, the Haswell will easily outperform the Atom.

For transcoding to more then one device simultaneously would one cpu out perform the other and would there be a better option within the same price range?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For transcoding to more then one device simultaneously would one cpu out perform the other and would there be a better option within the same price range?

I believe the Atom Avoton 2750 (8 cores instead of the 4 in the 2550) can transcode multiple streams with ease. You'd probably need something beefier than the Pentium, but it's hard to get exact numbers around here for that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.