First NAS build !! New Guy and having a problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHat

Dabbler
First let me say hello to you all. Second please don't flame if this is the wrong section and if this is a repeat post. I have searched several times and haven't seen my issue, that or i just completely missed it in my frustrations. So the issue i'm having is right after I install the software, i select reboot and it just sits there after it says 3m46s ...absolutly nothing happens. If i manually reset it it asks me to load kernels. I built my setup out of some spare parts i had soooo its not a perfect setup as i'm learning but i'm lost on what to do next...Please any suggestions or guidance would truly be helpful right now.

AsRock z270 k6 w\ i3
16gb DDR4 Ballistix Crucial Mem
128GB Corsair Force GT
2X 4TB WD RED's Waiting on the last 4 to come in from amazon
EVGA 550 G3 Power supply
32gb USB Stick Samsung

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
First let me say hello to you all. Second please don't flame if this is the wrong section and if this is a repeat post. I have searched several times and haven't seen my issue, that or i just completely missed it in my frustrations. So the issue i'm having is right after I install the software, i select reboot and it just sits there after it says 3m46s ...absolutly nothing happens. If i manually reset it it asks me to load kernels. I built my setup out of some spare parts i had soooo its not a perfect setup as i'm learning but i'm lost on what to do next...Please any suggestions or guidance would truly be helpful right now.

AsRock z270 k6 w\ i3
16gb DDR4 Ballistix Crucial Mem
128GB Corsair Force GT
2X 4TB WD RED's Waiting on the last 4 to come in from amazon
EVGA 550 G3 Power supply
32gb USB Stick Samsung
Welcome to the forums!
What version of FreeNAS did you install?
How did you install it? Did you install it onto the 32GB USB stick?

AngryHat

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums!
What version of FreeNAS did you install?
How did you install it? Did you install it onto the 32GB USB stick?

Thank you for your speedy response... I used the latest version FreeNAS 9.10.2 . I burned the ISO to a separate USB stick with Rufus with the DD command. When i booted to the USB with the Installer ISO I directed it to install on the 32gb Samsung drive. I followed the prompts from the documents files on the FreeNAS website on how to install also.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank you for your speedy response... I used the latest version FreeNAS 9.10.2 . I burned the ISO to a separate USB stick with Rufus with the DD command. When i booted to the USB with the Installer ISO I directed it to install on the 32gb Samsung drive. I followed the prompts from the documents files on the FreeNAS website on how to install also.
Sounds right... you booted a separate USB stick containing the FreeNAS installation software and instructed it to install on the Samsung USB stick, correct?

After installing, did you modify the BIOS boot order so that the system boots from the Samsung USB stick?

AngryHat

Dabbler
Sounds right... you booted a separate USB stick containing the FreeNAS installation software and instructed it to install on the Samsung USB stick, correct?

After installing, did you modify the BIOS boot order so that the system boots from the Samsung USB stick?

Yes to both questions but...

Well that's the thing, The system never booted on its own.. i had to manually reboot it. Everything i read said that was a No No .. its supposed to reboot on its own. But yes its was setup to boot from the USB. When it does boot i have 3 options Boot Normal.. and that's where i get the Load kernel dialog, or i can select Single user mode or Verbose Mode. From all of the dialogs i read and videos on installing ... They all state it should reboot on its own and when it does reboot i should see ip address to login through the web browser.

Last edited:

AngryHat

Dabbler
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
After the install you need to select reboot from the menu. Then it should reboot and show you the console menu with IP. Your saying that you never see the menu to reboot or after selecting reboot using the arrow keys it doesn't reboot? What happens after you force the rest? Does it boot off the new install you just made?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Does anyone else have any thoughts?
How, exactly, did you create your installation media?

You mentioned both Rufus and dd above, but those are mutually exclusive: Rufus runs on Windows and creates a bootable USB drive from an image; dd is a UNIX command that copies a file/device to another file/device.

What brand of USB drive did you use to make the boot/installation drive?

Just to be clear... did you have two USB drives installed in the system during installation? There should have been two: the installation USB drive you boot and install from, and the target USB drive you install to.

AngryHat

Dabbler
Well I used rufus to create the bootable USB
How, exactly, did you create your installation media?

You mentioned both Rufus and dd above, but those are mutually exclusive: Rufus runs on Windows and creates a bootable USB drive from an image; dd is a UNIX command that copies a file/device to another file/device.

What brand of USB drive did you use to make the boot/installation drive?

Just to be clear... did you have two USB drives installed in the system during installation? There should have been two: the installation USB drive you boot and install from, and the target USB drive you install to.

Well i used Rufus to create the bootable usb, after selecting the FreeNAS Image i selected DD Image (Maybe that is what missunderstood) assuming i needed to be a flat exact copy all of the USB Sticks have used during this installation are Samsung. I have tried with several other USB sticks as well gaining the same results. once i created the Bootable installer USB i then connected ANOTHER USB for the Program to be installed on and plugged that in as well. YES i am using 2 usb sticks one for the installation process and one to be installed on.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryHat

Dabbler
After the install you need to select reboot from the menu. Then it should reboot and show you the console menu with IP. Your saying that you never see the menu to reboot or after selecting reboot using the arrow keys it doesn't reboot? What happens after you force the rest? Does it boot off the new install you just made?

Thank you for assistance, So after i get the notification that everything has been installed and i need to reboot, i select reboot from the menu and it gives me to lines of information then 3m46 or how ever long the PC has been on and freezes. "It will not reboot on its own"; after manuallying rebooting the pc it will boot to the new USB stick but it will stop at " Load Kernel" and do nothing else.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Have you tried a different USB stick to install to? Could be your installation media is toast.

AngryHat

Dabbler
Have you tried a different USB stick to install to? Could be your installation media is toast.
I have tired different usb sticks from name brand to micro center usb sticks.. they all end in the same result ..

zoomzoom

Guru
Rufus can do a few different things:
  • ISO option: will format and extract the contents of the ISO to the drive
  • DD option: is faster, but requires one to manually destroy the partition table prior to utilizing the USB drive for storage again, as DD will resize the drive to the size of the DD image.

@AngryHat What's the console output in the installer (there's an F key [ ALT+ F1 IIRC] that switches back and forth between the GUI installer and the console output), as it sounds like there might be some camstatus errors.
  • To verify, when you install, you see the percentage of the install that's being done (should be 5 steps, of which list "Step 1 of 5", "Step 2 of 5", etc., followed by a percentage indicator), of which Step 5 takes the longest, and afterwards prompts you to reboot right?
  • How long are you waiting when you try to reboot it before performing a hard reboot? Installing from a USB Drive 1 to USB Drive 2 takes a fairly long time (45min+ the last time I reinstalled FN11 over USB2).

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thank you for assistance, So after i get the notification that everything has been installed and i need to reboot, i select reboot from the menu and it gives me to lines of information then 3m46 or how ever long the PC has been on and freezes. "It will not reboot on its own"; after manuallying rebooting the pc it will boot to the new USB stick but it will stop at " Load Kernel" and do nothing else.
This sounds like unsupported hardware to me. Is your bios on your motherboard fully up to date?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
As common on most prosumer boards, some of your USB ports are controlled
by the PCH (Intel Z270) and others by a secondary chipset (ASM1074hub),
there may be a boot access issue with the ASMedia chip. Try making sure you
DO NOT use the ASMedia ports during installation (for either thumb drive).

Internal I/O Connectors for this model board...
Onboard USB
3 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 6 USB 2.0 ports) (Intel Z270) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))
1 x USB 3.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) (Intel Z270) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))
1 x USB 3.0 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) (ASMedia ASM1074 hub) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

There may be a work around... try a cheap USB 2.0 AIC such as this...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186010

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Also thought of making sure your USB ports are set for legacy operation in the bios...

AngryHat

Dabbler
Hey i just wanted to follow up on this issue. I want to start off by saying thank you all for your quick responses and helpful advice. I was finally able to get it running. I ended up having to format the USB drives with Rufus. After doing so i follow the advice given and it was up and running. One slight change is that i did download the 11.0 version and reinstalled it after i was able to get 9.10.2 working. 11 is up and running and i have not had any issues since. I'm definitely excited to start playing around with the setup!! THANK YOU ALL @Spearfoot @SweetAndLow @BigDave @Jailer @zoomzoom @Robert Trevellyan

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.