First FreeNAS system question X11SCH-F or X11SSH-CTF + backup + Emby

Ricko1

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

First of all thank you for taking the time to read this.

After a few years of being a member I think it's about time to build my first NAS. I've done a lot of reading, build my first pc in 2018 and my storage is filling up. I played around in Virtualbox so I have a bit of familiarity with the interface and concepts.

My use-case:
It will be primarily a home storage system backing up all systems, syncing personal files and serving media.
I would like to run Emby for my media with a max of 2-4 streams at a time. Maybe a few light jail's/vm's (like AP controller for TP-link EAP).
I plan on using a "Cloud Sync Task" to a cloud provider with encryption (Rclone crypt) for personal files (I have a 1TB free account). They will be on a separate dataset for easy management.

Parts:
Below you'll find a list of parts which I think should do. I've split the cpu, ram and motherboard since I'm not sure what's the best choice.
Pricing is in euro's (incl vat) since I live in the Netherlands. The ram sticks are compatible according to crucial's website. All supermicro QVL ram is either not available or twice the msrp with long waiting times.

A:
Supermicro X11SCH-F - €290
Intel Core i3-9100 - €150 (I would like to use hardware acceleration for Emby)
Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 16GB module 2x €105 = €210

B:
Supermicro X11SSH-CTF - €450-500
Either an Intel I3 7100 for €120 or an Intel Xeon E3-1225 v6 for €320 (for quad instead of dual core, prices on that generation are high)
CT16G4WFD8266 16GB module 2x €105 = €210

I'm leaning toward A with adding an Intel x540 + ibm m1015 (Ebay €100-150) when I want to use 10gb and need more ports since I couldn't find a -CTF motherboard for 8th and 9th gen processors.

Other parts:
Drives: 6x WD Red 4TB in RAID-Z2 €115-120 x6 = €720
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 - €130
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 - €106
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX1400U-GR €165
SSD boot drive: Crucial BX500 120GB €30
3x front fan Noctua NF-S12A FLX, 120mm 17x3 =€51 (2 front 140mm fans move to bottom and top for in and out)

I'll add the same cable set from https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/build-report-fractal-design-define-r6.74641/ since I plan on adding a second 6 drive vdev when I run out space. About €75

Set A will be about €1925 (1205 without drives). Set B would be €2060 (1340 w/o dsk) for worse cpu performance or about 2250 for similar performance (quadcore). A does sound better unless I'm really overlooking something. The add cards would be about a half to a third of the difference.

Funnily enough it gets close to matching a Snology DS1819+ (975 + 165 for ups) except my system will be able to take up to 12 drives instead of 8 and be a lot more versatile.

Backup strategy
Important personal files will be synced to the cloud storage provider. How much cpu does Rclone crypt use?

I'm thinking about getting an external USB 3.0 drive that I'll connect once a month for offline backup. The best solution would be a second FreeNAS system but I can't justify spending that much at once.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this setup. I'll have to run ethernet to the attic (isolated and finished) since I don't think the noise will be compatible with a bedroom).

€1925 is a lot of money for me to spend at once.
Is there anything that could be cheaper without compromising too much?
-16GB ram instead of 32GB could be an option but getting matching ram later could be a pain (+ expected price increase in 2020-2021), that would also limit plugin and vm usage
-9100F is €80 instead of €150 but that means zero hardware acceleration for Emby. I don't know how my Ryzen 1800x main system compares for Emby cpu usage.
-Used could be an option but power is expensive here (around 20 cents per kwh). Newer systems wouldn't be that much cheaper.

zorak950

Dabbler
Going used will definitely save you money up front, if that's the object; just depends on your comfort level with pre-owned stuff.

You could certainly get away with 16GB of RAM in that setup, but it could potentially limit your ability to add storage later depending on who you believe around here (I suspect you'd be fine).

The processor is only relevant if you're going to need to transcode: if you format your media so it will direct play on all the devices you'll be using, you'll be fine with the cheapest one you're comfortable putting in there. If you'll be transcoding though, I'd go with a nice mid- to high-end Xeon for sure, depending on whether we're talking SD, HD, or UHD content. Bear in mind that last time I checked, hardware acceleration with Emby didn't work in FreeNAS anyway, so it's raw processor power you'll be relying on to transcode, and transcoding UHD to UHD in real time just isn't going to happen no matter what setup you use. You might want to do some research to see if that's changed if it affects your decision making.

Is there a reason you're considering the SSH model motherboard at all? At first glance I'm not seeing any particular advantage for the setup you're proposing. In your place I'd much rather put that extra money towards a nicer processor if you're transcoding, or just save the money if you're not.

Ricko1

Dabbler
I'm the type of guy to spend more up front if it saves money later (within reason). Especially for things that will work many years. A huge powerbil is something I would like to avoid. At the moment solar-power is not an option so I can't compensate it.

Used servers are limited in the EU. Shipping from the US can easily be 2-300 bucks (excluding possible import tariffs and tax) and thus will kill a good deal.

This is the cheapest I could find quickly that takes more then 4 drives https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Supermicro-...458355?hash=item365d2ce933:g:PjYAAOSwtYxeQZWU seems relatively good for 300 bucks at first glance. However it's missing the drive caddy's so add another 100-200 bucks.

Other complete servers start at 400-600 bucks for X9 or X10 stuff that I think will make my power bill skyrocket. Also the people I live with already have issue's with a case the size of the R6. If I get a "big ugly server" that sounds like a jet engine there's gonna be problems.

I was consider the ssh-ctf for the integrated LSI3008 sas and intel X550-AT2 controllers. The idea is to save some money by having it integrated. Pricing however seems to have gotten pretty bad on those and it's no longer the case. If I need those features I can get add-in cards from ebay relatively cheap.

UHD content isn't even on my list to consider at the moment. It's all 1080p or lower.

I3-9100F it is then. I'll see how it performs. Worst case I'll have to swap the cpu for a xeon.
I'll keep the 32GB ram
That brings the system excluding drives and the ups down to €970 (which is on the high end I can bring it down to 835 if I use cheaper webshops).
If a used server is 400-600 for pretty old stuff then the difference is about 3-400 bucks. I think the power difference would be made up in 2-4 years.

I hear you - Shipping from the US to Canada cost me over CDN$200!