First FreeNAS build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Case: This server will primarily run backups for my home network. I have 4 laptops and 5 desktops. I would also like to run a VM of the ubiquity unifi controller. I might mess around with other VMs, so the overhead for that would be nice.

SuperMicro - X10SLL-F V2.0 (Already owned)
IPMI - FW Rev 1.35
ME - Bios 1.0
SPS v 3.0.5.128
E3-1231 v3 (Already owned)
4x HMT41GU7BFR8C-PB SK Hynix (Total 32GB)
The model numbers don't line up exactly with the SuperMicro QVL, but they are close, and they are PC3-12800E so the specs line up, any thoughts?
2x SSDs One for FreeNAS (Small), one for VMs (Probably would use a Samsung EVO). Recommendations welcome. Running on the 2x SATA 3
4x WD Red 8TB Hard drives in a RAIDZ2 configuration. Running on the 4x SATA 2 connections
- I cannot find these in 5400RPM, Is heat that much of a concern, enough to warrant a drop in storage to 6TB drives, which I can find at 5400rpm?
- Will maxing out the storage at the 32TB preclude me from doing VMs, since I only have 32GB RAM?

I have a 1U Supermicro Case with 4 hot swap sleds. I need to re-open it up to see what the power supply is rated for, for this setup what would you consider reasonable in watts.

Does using RAIDZ2 seem right for the drives? I am worried about a second drive failing during recovery, and a stripe of mirrors, or just two separate mirrors, would not be protected from this.

Edit: I have a 2U SmartUps to backup my rack, which is currently just my pfSense box, my ISP modem (in bridge mode), a netgear smartswitch, and a windows 7 test box. I plan to connect that to the FreeNAS for remote controlled shutdown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.