BUILD First FreeNAS build: Plex, document server, backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BitCollider

Cadet
I want to build a FreeNAS machine mostly for media storage (Blu-ray, DVD, and music rips) and running Plex. I'll also use the machine as the CrashPlan backup target for two computers (in addition to backing up to CrashPlan's cloud). I'll run CrashPlan in a jail or possibly VM in order to back up the files stored exclusively on this machine. Low power consumption is important to me, but noise isn't. I'd like advice on the build I've put together. Are the components reasonable, am I overspending, and do I have a decent evolution path?

For Plex, the machine will regularly have only one simultaneous user transcoding 1080p. It might rarely have two simultaneous users--if that happens, one would be a Samsung TV running the Plex app and the other would be an Android or iPad client.

I have really debated between the X10 and X11 because of the 1150 and 1151 socket. In the end, I felt like I didn't need the features Skylake would offer, but it pains me a little to choose an "outdated" socket type--so please correct me if I'm making a bad choice.

The power supply is currently slightly on sale from NewEgg, but I could spend more if a SeaSonic (or something) is enough better to justify the cost.

I plan to run four 4TB hard drives initially, in a mirror configuration. I chose mirror because swapping out two hard drives when I'm ready to upgrade seems much more reasonable than swapping out four. I think this exposes me to more risk than RAIDZ2 (only guaranteed to survive one hard drive failure), but the risk doesn't seem especially higher given how much faster it is to resilver a mirror than a degraded RAIDZ2. (I'm open to feedback saying this is bad thinking.)

I selected these hard drives (4TB, 7200 RPM) because they seem to have a good track record and are (currently) $10 cheaper than 4TB WD Red drives. I'm pretty sure the increased speed (7200 RPM vs 5400 RPM) isn't actually useful in a FreeNAS machine. I'm considering dropping two of them to reduce my costs. I think I can get by on 3-ish TB for now.

Finally, the processor I picked is fairly cheap because I don't think my needs are very significant. Is it good enough, or should I spend a little more?

Am I missing anything? Should I buy extra fans for the case?

This build is rather costlier than I was hoping for when I started. Am I overspending?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($140.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: FreeNAS
Total: $1093.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 15:26 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I plan to run four 4TB hard drives initially, in a mirror configuration. I chose mirror because swapping out two hard drives when I'm ready to upgrade seems much more reasonable than swapping out four. I think this exposes me to more risk than RAIDZ2 (only guaranteed to survive one hard drive failure), but the risk doesn't seem especially higher given how much faster it is to resilver a mirror than a degraded RAIDZ2. (I'm open to feedback saying this is bad thinking.)
I'd say that argument would work with RAIDZ1, but not RAIDZ2. Any reasonable RADIZ2 vdev is going to be safer than simple mirrors.

Let's put it like this: how much of an inconvenience is it to lose the pool?

You should probably define your expansion needs. The X10SL7-F is overkill if you're staying at or below six drives (including SATA SSD for boot, if applicable). For up to eight drives, X11 boards with the C236 PCH are a good choice.

As for X10 vs X11, at the same price, take the latter. If you plan to substantially expand and feel you may need 64GB of RAM, X11. Up to eight drives, X11. Else, there's not much of a difference.
Fine for your workload.

At that price, sure.

Stux

MVP
x11/skylake gets you a 64GB ram limit (vs 32), and 8 Sata ports (vs 6) with c236.

I'd go for skylake. The price difference is negligible.

CraigD

Patron
If you are going to add many more HDDs (14 in total) the X10SL7-F is great I recommend it, however it is limited to 32GB of RAM so it is a trade off

If you are not going to add HDDs a newer motherboard maybe in order

If power usage is a problem a 7200RPM HDD normally uses more power than a 5400RPM HDD

Have Fun

Stux

MVP
If you are going to add many more HDDs (14 in total) the X10SL7-F is great I recommend it, however it is limited to 32GB of RAM so it is a trade off

If you are not going to add HDDs a newer motherboard maybe in order

If power usage is a problem a 7200RPM HDD normally uses more power than a 5400RPM HDD

Have Fun

X11ssl-cf is currently $20 more on newegg, and its undiscounted price is actually $10 cheaper than the x10-sl7-f

Gets you sas3 instead of sas2 and the 64GB limit

Just don't see the point in building a new 1150 based system anymore, unless you're going to get the cpu super cheap, or have the ram already (ddr3 vs ddr4)

CraigD

Patron
X11ssl-cf is currently $20 more on newegg, and its undiscounted price is actually $10 cheaper than the x10-sl7-f

Gets you sas3 instead of sas2 and the 64GB limit

Just don't see the point in building a new 1150 based system anymore, unless you're going to get the cpu super cheap, or have the ram already (ddr3 vs ddr4)

I stand corrected

Man that looks like a great board!

BitCollider

Cadet
It looks like the X11SSL-CF is the X11 equivalent of the board in my build. It's probably true that I won't need more than 6-8 drives though. (I'm planning on just running a couple of cheap USB 3.0 thumb drives for the OS.)

The X11SSM-F is $210 on NewEgg and supports 8 SATA drives. Does that seem like a good fit?

Stux

MVP
Ssh-f is a better board but you're paying $20 more for the m.2 slot.

I think the ssm is a pretty good deal

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ssh-f is a better board but you're paying $20 more for the m.2 slot.

I think the ssm is a pretty good deal
I wouldn't say better. Different.

You lose two PCI-e lanes (they're only used in the -LN4F version for the extra i210s) and two are rerouted to the M.2 slot.

The X11SSM-F is more flexible, since any of the PCI-e slots can trivially be used (far more capably, too) with M.2 or U.2 drives. x2 PCI-e on the M.2 slot kinda limits its usefulness.

Stux

MVP
I wouldn't say better. Different.

You lose two PCI-e lanes (they're only used in the -LN4F version for the extra i210s) and two are rerouted to the M.2 slot.

The X11SSM-F is more flexible, since any of the PCI-e slots can trivially be used (far more capably, too) with M.2 or U.2 drives. x2 PCI-e on the M.2 slot kinda limits its usefulness.
You're right, and I would say, for this purpose the SSM is better. It has an extra x4 slot where the ssh has only a x2 m.2 slot.

I missed the second x4 slot in the specs when I initially compared ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.