First FreeNAS budget build - looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzar720

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to build my first FreeNAS box for storing my files, i will go with ECC ram, 16GB, for the storage i will go with WD red 5 x 2TB

For chassis i will go with Fractal Design Node 304
For CPU what do you think of Pentium G4400?
I need your advise for MB & compatible ECC RAM, , i need MB which support up to 32GB of ram, IPMI

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Welcome to the forums :)

The G4400 is a good CPU for FreeNAS. You may want to take a look at the Supermicro X11-SSH motherboard since it can do ECC, supports up to 64GB RAM and has a IPMI. They're usually pretty affordable too.

Check out the hardware recommendations guide under the resources section of the forum for more ideas.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ordinarily, I'd suggest the X11SSM-F, since it's superior in every way that matters to the X11SSH-F. In this case, however, neither fits (pun intended).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Check out the HP ml10, way cheaper and just as good of a system.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you mean something like this?
Something like this, actually. Price varies, but I haven't seen it over $200 (and today it's $169 + $5 shipping). If you don't have a monitor that will do DisplayPort, you'll probably want an adapter of some sort. Some more RAM (another 8 GB would be good, another 16 GB would be better) and your drives, and you're set.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
Something like this, actually. Price varies, but I haven't seen it over $200 (and today it's $169 + $5 shipping). If you don't have a monitor that will do DisplayPort, you'll probably want an adapter of some sort. Some more RAM (another 8 GB would be good, another 16 GB would be better) and your drives, and you're set.

This is a very good deal.

HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9 $169+$5 S/H
Display Port Adapt ~$25
ECC Ram 16 gig ~$200
Subtotal ~$399 + Drives

Am I missing anything?

I've built PC computers but have been out of the building scene for 10 years. Really, the question, at this point, is how well does FreeNAS deploy/work? I have several MacBooks and iPhones that I would like to back up over wifi/net and also would like to use this to serve some video/audio content when at home.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
FreeNAS works great and lots of people use it for their company backup and file server. But it all depends on your use case. Like how are you going to backup your computers? FreeNAS does not back things up, that is the job of the client or some application you choose. That application needs to support network storage. That had nothing to do with FreeNAS it's just a standard like nfs, smb or ssh.

fr33n0zeer

Dabbler
FreeNAS works great and lots of people use it for their company backup and file server. But it all depends on your use case. Like how are you going to backup your computers? FreeNAS does not back things up, that is the job of the client or some application you choose. That application needs to support network storage. That had nothing to do with FreeNAS it's just a standard like nfs, smb or ssh.

Honestly, I don’t know. Lol.

During the past year I have been looking at Synology NAS and briefly at QNAP. With their system, you get the OS and some useful applications to get you going.

Recently, I have read positive comments about FreeNAS, that it has everything you would want in a NAS OS, just like the commercial products but more.

Really, I’m just starting to look at the FreeNAS option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
FreeNAS crushes Synology and qnap but you need to want to lean and be capable of learning. FreeNAS is point and click but it can also be point and shoot yourself in the foot sometimes.

Inxsible

Guru
for the storage i will go with WD red 5 x 2TB

For chassis i will go with Fractal Design Node 304
For CPU what do you think of Pentium G4400?
Why not 6x2TB? Node 304 does support 6 drives. Are you planning on putting in a full size PCI card or something that you need to keep 1 drive bay open?

I use a Pentium G3240 and it works great for my use case. I use Plex, Radarr, CouchPotato and Transmission.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's a Resource for this and it's rather tiring to have to repeat this weekly.

The X11SSH-F has two PCIe lanes completely unusable, because they're routed to where the third and fourth NICs are on the X11SSH-LN4F. The M.2 slot gets the two remaining lanes, so it's a very half-assed M.2 implementation.

If, for some reason, you do want a PCIe SSD with an X11SSM-F and it is not available in PCI card format, a cheap PCIe M.2 or U.2 adapter card is only 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.