First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildSioux

Cadet
Hello all just signed up as i now have everything for my first FreeNAS build.

I have a Dlink dns323 with two Seagate 500gb drives of family photos, videos, documents and other stuff. They are in a mirror and are full. So no redundancy or backup should one drive fail. I have been worried for some time now that it is going to fail and I'll lose all that stuff. Just haven't had the funds to build this. For 10 years or so the dns323 has been bumming along nicely though. Had a spare seagate drive fail in my other desktop that really got me to take the dive.

Over the last month i have been purchasing the parts for my NAS. I've been researching NAS os over three part few years. Starting with NAS4free even before being aquired by iX. FreeNAS, openmediavault, rockstor, and Ubuntu server among others. I bought the parts to build it for FreeNAS. But held an open mind while I researched the others. I mainly focused on the file system benefits and negatives of each.

With BTRFS still having bugs not worked out I couldn't trust it. So i have come back to FreeNAS with ZFS. My goal is to have much larger capacity, speed, redundancy and backup. I know RAID is not backup. I plan to use the dns323 to back up the new FreeNAS system with a larger drive.

With that out of the way, here is my build.
Ok, I think that is it. About $1500...eek. was trying to stay below $1000. But since I spread it out over a month I went big on the hard drives and needed a new PS. . Note if I need SSD drives for cache? I know i will get a UPS for power failure. I plan to start building tomorrow. Let me know what you think! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Wizard
This will be setup in a ZF2 raid
In all friendly manner - the terminology that makes sense for readers here is "raidz2".
Hardware looks generally solid.
These days - forget USB, consider a cheap SSD. Way more reliable, and no need for mirroring (maintain a downloaded config file (from the GUI) ) is all you need to get back on track easily ))
Power supply - From the looks of it, that SS-660XP2 looks cool. Platinum rating is nomz.
A UPS is also recommended. Typically look for one that supports NUT (if I remember correctly). That way the UPS can talk to FreeNAS to issue shutdown commands when out of juice.
APC are quite common. My favourite is: CyberPower PFC Sinewave Series CP900EPFCLCD.
Here are some of the one's I find interesting. Ie, featured with sinewave https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/pfc-sinewave/

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello all just signed up as i now have everything for my first Freenas build.

I have a Dlink dns323 with two Seagate 500gb drives of family photos, videos, documents and other stuff. They are in a mirror and are full. So no redundancy or backup should one drive fail. I have been worried for some time now that it is going to fail and I'll lose all that stuff. Just haven't had the funds to build this. For 10 years or so the dns323 has been bumming along nicely though. Had a spare seagate drive fail in my other desktop that really got me to take the dive.

Over the last month i have been purchasing the parts for my NAS. I've been researching NAS os over three part few years. Starting with NAS4free even before being aquired by iX. Freenas, openmediavault, rockstor, and Ubuntu server among others. I bought the parts to build it for freenas. But held an open mind while i researched the others. I mainly focused on the file system benefits and negatives of each.

With BTRFS still having bugs not worked out i couldn't trust it. So i have come back to freenas with ZFS. My goal is to have much larger capacity, speed, redundancy and backup. I know raid is not backup. I plan to use the dns323 to backup the new freenas system with a larger drive.

With that out of the way, here is my build.
Ok, i think that is it. About $1500...eek. was trying to stay below $1000. But since i spread it out over a month I went big on the hard drives and needed a new PS. . Note if i need SSD drive (s) for cache? I know i will get a UPS for power failure. I plan to start building tomorrow. Let me know what you think! Thanks
You've obviously done your homework, and I think your system will work fine.

You won't need an SSD for L2ARC cache until after you've installed 64GB of RAM on the motherboard... and probably not then, either! :smile:

FreeNAS uses the Network UPS Tools for UPS support, so a unit from their Hardware compatibility list should work. I use a couple of elderly APC units, and recently purchased a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. I haven't received it yet so I can't speak from my own experience about how well it works with FreeNAS, but other forum members have had luck with them.

Good luck!

WildSioux

Cadet
Oops, yes RAIDZ2... Thanks for correcting that. Any guides on installing and setup?

Also for copying from my dns323. Do i just use Windows (or my desktop Ubuntu) file manager and copy like drag and drop? Or is there a better way? Script or something. I imagine hooking both to router switch. What about from dns323 direct to the new freenas?

Edit:. I started building this. Started with the case, installing the motherboard standoffs. The xeon CPU and fan outside of the case. Somehow managed to cut my thumb in two places. And broke one of the stock Intel fan pins. 1 out of 4 wouldn't go in the motherboard hole. I took it out and tried to get it back out. Somehow broke it.

So, i will be getting a better CPU fan. Any recommendations? The Ubuntu desktop we built has an EVO 212 on a i7-6700k. Would that work or something better?

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Any guides on installing and setup?
The documentation covers this aspect well.
As for guides, look in my signature, read Cyberjocks newbie guide. It is a very good read, helping you make the right calls.

Do i just use Windows (or my desktop Ubuntu) file manager and copy like drag and drop? Or is there a better way?
That is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.