Firestick cannot access Freenas SMB share

jrod8033

Cadet
I am using freenas 11.1-U6 and setup a simple share using SMB. I cannot access this share using VLC, ES Explorer or Kodi on my firestick. The freenas network folder is visible but once selected kodi and es explorer immediately display 'timeout'. the VLC app keeps trying to load the network shares but never does.

On the same 3 apps on the firestick I can access my Sysnology NAS and windows 10 and 7 computer shares just fine. I have looked at the log.smdb logs but don't really see an issue there, any help is really appreciated.

m0nkey_

MVP
More recent versions of FreeNAS use the SMB2 protocol. Most appliances still require the use of SMB1. You will have to use the auxiliary parameters in the SMB service to set the minimum protocol to SMB1.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am using freenas 11.1-U6 and setup a simple share using SMB. I cannot access this share using VLC, ES Explorer or Kodi on my firestick. The freenas network folder is visible but once selected kodi and es explorer immediately display 'timeout'. the VLC app keeps trying to load the network shares but never does.

On the same 3 apps on the firestick I can access my Sysnology NAS and windows 10 and 7 computer shares just fine. I have looked at the log.smdb logs but don't really see an issue there, any help is really appreciated.

You will probably need to downgrade the minimum SMB protocol of your FreeNAS server to SMB1.

The server min protocol is also controlled by a sysctl on FreeNAS.
freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol

So you can run the command sysctl freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol=NT1 to temporarily lower the value of the server minimum protocol to SMB1. If this fixes your problem, then you can make it permanent by adding the sysctl under System->Tunables:

Variable = freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol
Value = NT1
Type = Sysctl
Comment = "whatever you want"

NOTE: once you change this value you should toggle the "on" / "off" button in the UI for services->SMB or regenerate the smb4.conf file python /usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py

m0nkey_

MVP
You will probably need to downgrade the minimum SMB protocol of your FreeNAS server to SMB1.

The server min protocol is also controlled by a sysctl on FreeNAS.
freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol

So you can run the command sysctl freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol=NT1 to temporarily lower the value of the server minimum protocol to SMB1. If this fixes your problem, then you can make it permanent by adding the sysctl under System->Tunables:

Variable = freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol
Value = NT1
Type = Sysctl
Comment = "whatever you want"

NOTE: once you change this value you should toggle the "on" / "off" button in the UI for services->SMB or regenerate the smb4.conf file python /usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py
Is any of this documented anywhere? The documentation doesn't seem to cover any of this. It'll be useful to know these things.

jrod8033

Cadet
Thank you both for your quick response, it work perfectly !!

I really appreciate your help, I have spent hours searching for this solution, ok I lied I’ve spent days.

Donation on the way

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is any of this documented anywhere? The documentation doesn't seem to cover any of this. It'll be useful to know these things.

Adjusting min protocol can be done via an auxiliary parameter or via sysctl. I don't believe the sysctls are documented in the FreeNAS guide. Samba has max / min protocol and multichannel smb configurable via sysctl (or aux parameter). The rest of the sysctls are for adjusting timeouts.

honeybee

Dabbler
This also helped me a lot using just VLC on my iPad to stream media from my FreeNAS. Thank you!

honeybee

Dabbler
I'm still on 11.1-U6 as I have tons of error when I boot 11.2. One day I will reinstall FreeNAS and set it up again with a new version. I Updated my FreeNAS since 9.0 :smile:

Other question:
After enabling this above my Nas sent me this mail:
Code:
nas.local kernel log messages:
 Failed to fully fault in a core file segment at VA 0x800903000 with size 0xd000 to be written at offset 0x351000 for process winbindd
 pid 68076 (winbindd), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

-- End of security output --

Googled it and they say it's a SMB crash. SMB still working fine. Can I just silent this message?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm still on 11.1-U6 as I have tons of error when I boot 11.2. One day I will reinstall FreeNAS and set it up again with a new version. I Updated my FreeNAS since 9.0 :)

Other question:
After enabling this above my Nas sent me this mail:
Code:
nas.local kernel log messages:
Failed to fully fault in a core file segment at VA 0x800903000 with size 0xd000 to be written at offset 0x351000 for process winbindd
pid 68076 (winbindd), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

-- End of security output --

Googled it and they say it's a SMB crash. SMB still working fine. Can I just silent this message?
There should be a winbindd.core file under /var/db/system/cores. If you send it to me I'll take a look at it. The server has probably recovered. I've seen winbind crash before when using samba_server restart.

honeybee

Dabbler
Will do it later, it's 45MB and I'm on mobile at the moment. But thank you in advance.