Files with hidden attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo262

Cadet
Somehow we are getting files with hidden attributes on freenas. I'm assuming some of the employees are checking the hidden attribute before copying it to the nas. Other employees cannot see them.

I noticed if I copy the files to windows, and uncheck hidden, they are fine. But on the nas, it won't allow me to do it.

a couple of questions. First, is there a way I can prevent hidden files to be saved on the nas in the first place.

second, how would I remove the hidden attributes on the preexisting files on the nas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why are employees trying to hide files? That sounds really suspicious/fishy to me if they really are checking the hidden attribute.

I'm assuming you are using Windows ACLs and that'show they are hiding the files. I'd say the only way to remove the hidden attribute is to do some attrib commands from the command line for the preexisting files on the NAS.

If you want to prevent hidden files, then disable Windows ACLs. Note that this changes a whole lot of things so you might not want to do this, but its the only option I'm aware of.

vertigo262

Cadet
Well, first off, my name is Kevin Perelman, so that should say it all since I am a 30 year target with a world wide mental illness campaign known around the world. So not only is it fishy, but there's criminal intent to harass me in mobs until I'm dead.

On that note, I am using the active directory, which doesn't work that well. sometimes it's asking for passwords when it shouldn't and guest access doesn't work right.

If I turn off the acl am I disabling active directory?

which in my case might work better, not sure. I just want a simple nas. Some areas protected for admin, and some areas open for everyone. Although, I'm considering taking off delete perms on the public areas. pro/cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.