Files on disk takes much more space with cifs than iscsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaror

Contributor
Hello All

I am currently testing some prof of concept for our builders to write high speed SVN dev many small files while compiling.

i used server with following spec:
Build FreeNAS 9.3-BETA GMT
Platform
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz
Memory
49061MB
Disks 6X250GB seagate Created raidz , +1x 480 ocz vertex460 zil + 1x 480 ocz vertex460 l2arc
Nework 1 x gbe console
Nework 1x 10 gbe storage
iscsi file extent reside on same volume where cifs writes

I tried to do some svn operation with batch getlib and bin with cifs its takes 1.30 min with iscsi 7 sec with size of around 50mb

next i xcopy this out folder to same storage to out1 folder again with cifs its takes around 1 min with iscsi its takes 11 sec
i tested both with crystal mark i get in both around same results around 340MB/s sequential and 100Mb random
simple dd gives
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zvol1/temp.dat bs=4k count=250000
250000+0 records in
250000+0 records out
1024000000 bytes transferred in 2.810265 secs (364378471 bytes/sec)
I noticed that the size on disk with cifs is x70 biger than actual size when in iscsi is x1.x
My question why its much slower in cifs than iscsi and why space on disk is such huge?
Thanks
filesondisk.jpg

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
What's for speed, iSCSI is usually not a shared storage, so initiator may cache data more aggressively. That may be important when you are doing many small operations like svn cloning.

Also in case of large copy operations iSCSI in FreeNAS 9.3 supports ODX acceleration, that allows to copy data within one FreeNAS box without moving them over the wire to the initiator and back. AFAIK SMB3 should also supports it, but I've never tried that, and I am not sure it is enabled by default.

What's for size, it sounds more like a bug, or may be difference in supporting sparse files, etc.

tbaror

Contributor
Just mention that speed is better with iscsi , just last question should i do something on Freenas side to enable ODX acceleration or only with Windows side?
Thanks

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Should i do something on Freenas side to enable ODX acceleration or only with Windows side?
For iSCSI ODX on FreeNAS side is always enabled since 9.3.

For Samba shares -- I am not sure. You may need to allow SMB3 protocol.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ODX isn't currently supported in samba. Server-side-copy is supported in SMB2 protocol in the following OSes:
  • Windows 7 and Server 2008 - robocopy only
  • Windows 8 and Server 2012- explorer and robocopy
With the caveat that server-side copy on samba only works when source and destination reside in same share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.