SOLVED Files missing after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenith

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I just performed an upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3.
The upgrade seemed to go well, however once it had rebooted and I could reach the the GUI again, I don't seem to be able to see any of my old files.

I had a 5 disk ZFS pool configured before the upgrade, and it is still showing up in 9.3 however one of the folders is now empty...

here is the output of a df -h

[root@Freenas]./mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK#.df.-h
Filesystem...........................................................................................................Size....Used...Avail.Capacity..Mounted.on
freenas-boot/ROOT/default...............................................................................7.2G....509M....6.7G.....7%..../
devfs....................................................................................................................1.0k....1.0k......0B...100%..../dev
tmpfs....................................................................................................................32M....5.3M.....26M....17%..../etc
tmpfs...................................................................................................................4.0M....8.0k......4M.....0%..../mnt
tmpfs...................................................................................................................1.3G.....92M....1.2G.....7%..../var
freenas-boot/grub...............................................................................................6.7G....6.8M....6.7G.....0%..../boot/grub
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK...................................................................................................14T....6.6T....7.4T....47%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/Media.......................................................................................7.4T....230k....7.4T.....0%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/Media
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails...........................................................................................7.4T....518k....7.4T.....0%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sabnzbd_1........................................................................7.4T......1G....7.4T.....0%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sabnzbd_1
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sickrage_1........................................................................7.4T....1.1G....7.4T.....0%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sickrage_1
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system.....................................................................................7.4T....294k....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system/cores...........................................................................7.4T....230k....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system/cores
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system/samba4.......................................................................7.4T....735k....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system/samba4
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system/syslog-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3..........7.4T....1.1M....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system/syslog-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system/rrd-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3...............7.4T....230k....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system/rrd-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3
ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/.system/configs-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3........7.4T....230k....7.4T.....0%..../var/db/system/configs-adb946163d914f088dc14617dbc0bec3
devfs.....................................................................................................................1.0k....1.0k......0B...100%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sabnzbd_1/dev
procfs....................................................................................................................4.0k....4.0k......0B...100%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sabnzbd_1/proc
devfs.....................................................................................................................1.0k....1.0k......0B...100%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sickrage_1/dev
procfs....................................................................................................................4.0k....4.0k......0B...100%..../mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/jails/sickrage_1/proc

As you can see the used column is showing 6.6T used for the ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK folder. However when I do a DU on that folder it says there is only 83G of data there.

I had a large folder with a lot of data at /mnt/ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/Media which seems to be the one missing all the data. Any ideas how to recover it? It seems to still be there is some form.

Any help would be appreciated. I had some photos in there that hadn't been backed up yet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sounds like you had a dataset called Media which isn't appearing. When you log in to the shell on your server, is the directory there? Are its contents there? Or is the media directory absent?

If you don't see a Media directory there, try running 'zfs mount' and 'zfs mount -a', and post the results.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Upgrades can't cause a folder to disappear. So ignoring that you did an upgrade what else did you do? Most likely at some point you created multiple media datasets and mounted them over each other. I suspect you did some cli funkyness to do this and you shouldn't be using the cli. Also df doesn't work sometimes when looking at zfs filesystems. what does zfs list and those zfs mount -a commands tell you?

Zenith

Cadet
There was no "cli funkyness" nothing has been changed thought the CLI.

When 9.3 was installed there was a startup wizard which asked to import the ZFS pool and create a share. I stupidly put my existing CIFS share in the wizard, which I think has automatically create a folder with the same name as the old one.

After connecting to the share I noticed that the share was there as before, but now empty. I then tried to restore the configuration from before which restored all my settings, but made no difference to the folder in question.

Are there any tools for doing a data recovery from the pool? seeing as the data hasn't been overwritten yet?

Zenith

Cadet
In reponse to dab35. If i connect via SSH I do see the folder, however there is no contents.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You created a second media dataset and mounted it over the old one. Try to unmount the media dataset.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the wizard created a dataset on top of an existing folder or dataset, that's a bug. From the CLI, try 'zfs unmount ZFS_RaidZ_5DSK/Media' and see what happens.

Zenith

Cadet
Thanks guys, umounting it has fixed it.

Now I'm going to sort out my backups so this doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.