Files disappear after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So I'm a bit confused as to how this happened and now I'm not sure if this has happened before and I just have not noticed.
On my system I mainly use it as a media server with Plex. I have SickRage, Couch Potato, and transmission running for all that automatic stuff.
SickRage is setup to have transmission download file to one folder and the copy and rename them to another folder for Plex. Couch Potato downloads straight to the Plex movie folder.
I rebooted my FreeNAS system last night after having VM issues and Memory Swap Utilization issues.

I just opened transmission to see 19 torrents showing errors.
I looked into what the error was and they all say "No data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use "Set Location". To re-download, remove the torrent and re-add it."
Confused I went looking for the files and they are gone.

Luckily a few weeks ago I had setup daily snapshots of the system so I'm working on restoring the missing files, but this discovery kind of has me worried and thinking has this happened before and i just didn't notice or am I missing other files that I don't now I'm missing because I don't have something saying "HEY WHERE ARE THESE FILES?"
I mean if files that were in Plex are deleted, Plex just removes them and doesn't notify you of and files that were removed

Ok, I my have screwed up or something. I had cloned the snapshot of the folder that the files were missing from and when I viewed it there were over 400 files in the folder and in the current folder it only showed 285 files.
Like I said Im not sure what else disappeared so I went to the system snap snot and rolled back the whole thing, but when I checked the folder that I know the files were missing from none had returned.
So to double check I cloned just the snapshot of that folder again and now the same files are missing from the snapshot.

Any suggestion of what to try to remedy this would be appreciated

Edit:
After another reboot just now it seems that transmission found a couple more torrents that are missing the data for a total of 132.66GB of missing files.
Like I said, now the snapshot of yesterdays folder is missing the files after the rollback but I cloned the snapshot from 12 days ago and the files are still in thats one.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
The UI snapshot function never worked for me. I use the CLI and run zfs rollback -r pool/dataset@time use
zfs list -r -t snapshot -o name,creation pool/dataset
to find the snapshot name. Be sure to read this before mucking around. I would advise stopping all services and plugins prior to running and rebooting after as the FreeNAS middleware does not like us mucking with things in the CLI.

As for why the files are missing... My guess would be some issue with the plugins moving and renaming files... ZFS WILL tell you if it lost something.

WARNING: this is probably bad advice. I have only used this on zvols and not "live" datasets.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
after cloning the snapshots and copying the missing files that I needed I can't seem to destroy the clones now
Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 1.46.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 1.54.55 PM.png

However they still remain

Edit:
I rebooted the system again and then tried to destroy these datasets and this time it worked.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
I rebooted the system again and then tried to destroy these datasets and this time it worked.
Yeah a clone is a mountable r/w file system and if there were open handles it would prevent dismounting without the -f option (not visible or an option in the GUI) I thought you could browse ZFS snapshots without mounting a clone... I forget where its mapped to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.