Files are visible only via SSH as root

yotam777

Cadet
Hi,
I'm kinda new with all the TrueNAS permission system.
I have TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2.
I'm trying to copy files from a remote windows pc (Tried both Cobian reflector and Duplicati) both apps connected via ssh (with a username i created "yotam" not "root")
I cant see the files from the SMB share, Also files arn't visible from the shell - They are visible only when connected with ssh as root.
As far as i know all the permission set as expected, I'll add some pictures of the permissions.
folder: /mnt/Yotam-Storage/Server-Backup

* SSH connection with root user
1684492171253.png

* ACL permission from the GUI:
1684492290463.png

* Permission from the SHELL:
1684492346281.png

* folder also "empty" from the shell side:
1684492377701.png

I'm probably doing something wrong with the permission but I cant tell what exactly.
I have more SMB shares working just fine, the problem started when tried to copy files with ssh from a remote pc (looks like the ssh sets its own permissions)
If you need anymore data please ask I might missed something.
Thanks

2twisty

Contributor
Are the files inside Server-Backup set to yotam:MyFamily? Might need to do a "chown -R yotam:MyFamily /mnt/Yotam-Storage/Backup/Server-Backup"

Also what are the settings for the SMB share itself?

yotam777

Cadet
Hi 2twisty,
Thanks for the help.
I tried "chown -R yotam:MyFamily /mnt/Yotam-Storage/Backup/Server-Backup" looks ok no error but nothing happened (tried to restart the SMB service)
The "Backup" SMB share looks like this:
1685117071321.png

* By the way, If I'll copy any file through the windows file explorer from a remote PC (Connected with SSHFS tool) it will work as expected. The problem starts when trying to use 3rd party app.

2twisty

Contributor
Are you connecting to the SMB share as a specific user or as guest?

Is the machine you're connecting from Windows or *nix? If *nix, what config options are you using / what's in the fstab entry?

If you're connecting as a specific user, maybe try enabling guest access and connect as guest?

I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but this certainly smells like a permissions issue. Maybe create a new dataset and share and see if it behaves the same?

yotam777

Cadet
Are you connecting to the SMB share as a specific user or as guest?

Is the machine you're connecting from Windows or *nix? If *nix, what config options are you using / what's in the fstab entry?

If you're connecting as a specific user, maybe try enabling guest access and connect as guest?

I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but this certainly smells like a permissions issue. Maybe create a new dataset and share and see if it behaves the same?
I have 2 windows pc's 1 connected with SSHFS tool (the tool is also map a network drive) (with the user yotam of course) and the 2nd pc is the local one connected to the same network using "regular" SMB share and the same user name.
When trying to use filezilla and connecting as "yotam" can't see the files but "root" can see them all.

2twisty

Contributor
Try creating a new dataset and share. See if that works any better. Hopefully someone else will chime in, since I'm almost out of ideas.

yotam777

Cadet
tried to create new dataset the system open the dataset with root as owner and group and it worked great when sent some files from the remote PC.
So are we talking about the permissions inside "Backup" folder?

yotam777

Cadet
Problem seems to be solved.
I'm using new dataset under the main "Yotam-Storage" and not inside folder "Backup" for some reason this method is working right now.
Still very courios whats is wrong with the "Backup" folder permission it's driving me crazy ... :)