File level restore question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technobro

Cadet
Hi everyone,

First, i would like to take a second to thanks and congratulate all the devs on this project : Its awsome !

I do have a question, and cant find an anwser

Is it possible to do a file level restore of lets say 1 file.
The only way i manage to do it is to clone a snapshot into another mount and then scp into to extract the particular file. Is there a better way ?
Cant we just explore the backup ?
My concern about how long it will take on a big backup and the space needed / the time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Cloning snapshots (as well as destroying them after copying your file) shouldn't take much longer whether it's a small or large snapshot.

Clones take up no more space as they point to the same locations that are already used by the snapshot.

I think you need to read up on snapshots and clones as I don't think you understand how they work under the hood. ;)

technobro

Cadet
Hi cyberjock

Thanks for the quick response.. that clarify the cloning portion. space and time wise. Thats better then i was understanding it.

However
Can you confirm , if i want to restore one file i have to clone and manually copy the file via scp or via another share ? is my method good ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your method is fine. You can do scp, locally using cp, CIFS, FTP, NFS, etc. Whatever is most convenient. For me (and it sounds like for you) scp is the simplest since you probably don't want to setup a share for the clone and then have to delete it later.

technobro

Cadet
OK

Again thanks for your kind response. and not flaming me :)

I think i will politely / constructively add a suggestion in feature demand for a wizard gui / app that allow you to just do that in the back end via the web interface and then cp it to the actual share in a different location whitout intervention of any cli.

I think its a feature that could be very appreciated by many,

NickB

Dabbler
technobro, if you're connecting to your files via cifs via a Windows client, you can retrieve files from previous backups from within Windows explorer. Just right click the folder and go to previous versions. Go to the date you want, open the folder, find the file, and copy it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.