File backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
I would like to see what experienced FreeNas users would utilize for a file backup solution. Current setup is a Freenas box, one volume, two datasets - one for media (open) and one for backups (user-based password protected). These are smb shares to 2-3 windows clients. I would just like for the FreeNas box to handle everything - backup files, pictures, randomness. I read some on syncthings however I do not want to accidentally delete a file and have syncthings delete the file also, therefor it may not be the best solution for me unless there is a configuration to not sync deleted files?

I will eventually look into adding more to the Freenas box...maybe nextcloud. Just start off slow for now. Thanks in advance for your comments!

JB

m0nkey_

MVP
One thing I would recommend enabling if you've not already done so is snapshots. It'll let you quickly recover a file that was accidentally deleted or overwritten.

As for backing up the NAS, I keep it very simple. I have two hard drives that I rotate for off-line backup and one of these drives are stored at another location.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
One thing I would recommend enabling if you've not already done so is snapshots. It'll let you quickly recover a file that was accidentally deleted or overwritten.

As for backing up the NAS, I keep it very simple. I have two hard drives that I rotate for off-line backup and one of these drives are stored at another location.

First, thank you for your reply.

1. Eventually I will turn on snapshots when I have the backup solution in place. No sense to snapshot my non-important media files.

2. Perhaps I was not clear, I need ideas on how to automate the FreeNas system to pull files from clients and save onto the freeNas dataset. I already have an offline backup process...looking for something automated or a bit less manual labor intensive. I will still complete my offline backups I do bi-monthly until a new solution is found, then reduce the frequency once automated freeNas backup solution is in place.

Thanks
JB

danb35

Hall of Famer
I need ideas on how to automate the FreeNas system to pull files from clients and save onto the freeNas dataset.
Reconsider the question--look instead at pushing backups to the FreeNAS box. I've been using Urbackup for that purpose (both the client and server software are free, and it's cross-platform); Windows has backup software built in, or there are plenty of other options.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Reconsider the question--look instead at pushing backups to the FreeNAS box. I've been using Urbackup for that purpose (both the client and server software are free, and it's cross-platform); Windows has backup software built in, or there are plenty of other options.

Thank you for you response!

So you are saying I could utilize Urbackup server on the FreeNas box and client software-clients? Ideally I would like the FreeNas box to handle everything but if there is some software that would take very minimal resources to monitor each client system I could entertain the idea. Thanks

JB

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you are saying I could utilize Urbackup server on the FreeNas box and client software-clients?
That's how I do it. I have Urbackup installed in a jail on the FreeNAS box, and its client software installed on the client machines I want to back up to it. I'm not aware of a practical way that a FreeNAS box could pull files from a remote Windows machine as a backup.

Alecmascot

Guru
I would second the use of urbackup.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Ok, so I created a jail. Installed the Urbackup server, installed the client side on my HTPC. Logged into server webGUI. Showing that "The directory where UrBackup will save backups is inaccessible". Where should I point the backup storage path?

BTW...my first jail...only been a freenas user for about 30 days total now. I do like how at Idle the client side sitting around 60MB.

Thanks
JB

SPL150JB

Dabbler
Better yet...Do either of you have a link to a server settings guide or would be will to help with some of these settings?

SPL150JB

Dabbler
so I am giving ownership of my backup folder to the URbackup server?
chown -R Urbackup_Server:Urbackup_Server /mnt/FreeNas_Share/FreeNas_Backups

Then webGUI Urbackup - set backup storage path to /mnt/FreeNas_Share/FreeNas_Backups?

SPL150JB

Dabbler
so I am going to assume that is cannot access the backup share I had already created since I was trying to have individual user access but I guess this is not possible with Urbackup

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, Urbackup doesn't support (to the best of my knowledge) individual users' authenticated backup directories; the Urbackup software manages the storage.

SPL150JB

Dabbler
No, Urbackup doesn't support (to the best of my knowledge) individual users' authenticated backup directories; the Urbackup software manages the storage.

ok, looks like I will be going another route. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.