Feedback from a small test (re-installation)

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

I have decided to install the truenas scale on a virtual machine (Hyper-v) with nested virtualisation and the mac spoofing setting allowed.
I had an old installation (about two month old that didn't work anymore). The only thing I did was do the update and shutdown the machine. I guess it was a problem with hyper -v
I have seen a few "nuisances"

1) I have decided to create a bridge (so the virtual machines can access the network).
It was not as easy as I though.
I had to do
- Put a fixed IP to the eth0 (necessary as only one adapter can have dhcp and the bridge and eth0 can't be in the same network).
- Test and validate
- Create a bridge linked to eth0 (DHCP)
- Validate (the first time it didn't work and I had to start from scratch).
- Connect on the server with the DHCP adress (after a reboot to be sure)
- Delete the configuration of the eth0
- Test and validate (and hope for the best it didn't work the first time)
After that the bridge was fine.
It would be great to be able to simple delete the config of the eth0 then make the bridge and at last test / validate (even if it is only once it could be made simpler).
I have installed a Windows machine and without the bridge it couldn't access the network (only internet). That is the reason I decided to make a bridge.
The configuration of eth0 must be deleted for the bridge to work.

2) A win10 machine has a problem with the mouse pointer. It doesn't follow the real pointer (with the last VNC connect from realvnc).
I have that with a KVM machine and the spice / vnc protocol (changing from one to the other seems to solve the problem
3) The keyboard with VNC is not good (not Belgian even if the installation is belgian. Perhaps it is a problem with VNC but as I use rdp it is not a big problem.
4) I can't start a shell. I have the error
Cannot execute /usr/local/bin/zsh: No such file or directory
5) I couldn't find a way to shutdown / restart the server (I had to shutdown the guest from hyper-v perhaps it is the reason I have kileld my boot drive two times before.).

I will do more tests and provide feedback later
Thank you
Marc

ornias

Wizard
If you want a bridge on eth0, you need to have no ip on eth0 and the IP only on the bridge (which could also be dhcp).

ornias

Wizard
Yes but with only one network adapter it is not very intuitive to do.
huh?

- set eth0 to other IP
- Create bridge with old IP from eth0 or dhcp
- remove ip from eth0

Or just use the console if you have physical access

Marc Allard

Explorer
Personnaly it didn't work (it is what I tried at first). In the test procedure nothing happened and after a while 4-5 minutes I had to restart the server.

ornias

Wizard
At the very least it should've reverted automatically if it didn't work (didn't get your final confirmation)

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

It did revert (IP seen in the the hyper-v console) but there was no access from the web site until reboot

beagle

Explorer
I must agree I struggled a bit to get it working as well.

That's the only way it worked for me:

* eth0 was set as DHCP as per default install

(1) Add new bridge with eth0 as member and set a static IP. Don't click Test New Settings or you will lose access to dasboard.
(2) Open Dashboard in a new browser window using the bridge static IP
(3) Open interface eth0 settings. It will show the DHCP box unticked, but tick and untick the DHCP box. Save settings.
(4) Apply Test New Settings and wait for Dashboard to return

When I tried to change eth0 from DHCP to a static IP first after pressing Test New Settings I couldn't load the dashboard in the new IP to confirm the changes. It timed out and reversed the changes, or it didn't time out, I lost access to the dashboard and had to reset the network in the console.