Networking issues?

Kieeps

Dabbler
So... i just want to start of by saying that all these problems could ABSOLUTELY be just my lack of networking skills. This is what i'm trying to do.

I used to have proxmox as the host system, i ran truenas scale and opnsense in VMs and everything worked well, opnsense provided network to truenas through a bridge just as intended.

But now i want to remove proxmox and run Truenas scale as the host system with opnsense in a VM, iw set up the WM with 2 NICs, one is eth0 (same was port as truenas) and the other one is a bridge.

I tried to create a second VM that only had the br0 nic and it got a IP from opnsense without any issues.

I would love to be able to use br0 as internet access for the truenas system aswell for better security but truenas doesn't seem to be able to reach opnsense at all, i cant ping the opnsense gateway and if i set an IP on the br0 intrface and route the opnsense subnet to that bridge from within truenas i still cant reach it... what is the right approach here? what am i missing? the system is located at a remote point so i dont want to just "try" and set dns/gateway to point at opnsense if i cant even ping the destination first, 'cus if this system gets unreachable stuff tend to get complicated :D

and yes... i know that truenas scale is very early, but that is just part of the fun :) this is how we learn right? :D