Feasibility of a Core Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the long and short of it, I have a decently sized deployment that is currently using 300-350 watts of power. My older AMD Chip that I have in today doesn't seem to throttle back and has yet to break 20% utilization.
I have an older I3 sitting idle that I would love to change out and get in line and try and get the power utilization down on the whole thing. I would like to maintain my ZFS pool, and configurations can be rebuilt, but it would be nice to keep them as I am doing a bunch of stuff that would take me awhile to rebuild.

Hardware:
Case: Athena Power RM-4U4243HE12
CPU: AMD 8350
Motherboard: ASUS Saber-tooth 990 v2
Ram: 16GB DDR3
Raid Card: Adaptec RAID 78165 (for HBA pass-through)
Networking: Two HP Mellonox 10GB Ethernet cards (MNPA19-XTR)
20x 2 TB drives, 10 Western Digital RE3 drives, 14 Hitachi Enterprise drives

Change: AMD 8350 --> Intel I3 2120
Change Motherboard from Saber-tooth to Intel based board.

So my Plan on reading through all the documentation and other hardware fault threads:
  1. backup current config and move it to a safe area off the array.
  2. clean shutdown
  3. remove all pci-e cards and cables, (numbering SAS cables to hards)
  4. pull amd based core
  5. install Intel based core
  6. Reattach all cards and cables
  7. Install like kind freenas release to what i have installed now on AMD hardware
  8. Copy over Configs
  9. Import in ZFS volumes
  10. perform post transfer clean up?
  11. ???
  12. Profit
(at some point in this processs be upping the ram from 16-24 GB)
If more information is needed let me know, or if this is crazy also let me know, or an easier way to do it. My goal is to try next week when i get some time.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Move drives, upload config, system will Auto reboot, configure networking if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks, m0nkey_ and SweetAndLow. Doing just that got it swapped and up and running in no time. It was a lot simpler than what I was worried it was going to be.

tres_kun

Dabbler
So the big question
What is the power usage now ?

Now, it is running at a nice cool 110 for the whole array, and as an added bonus I dodged the faulty Realtek nic that has issues with FreeBSD, and forgetting how to network.

Status
Not open for further replies.