EZFS_NOREPLICAS no valid replicas

madin3

Dabbler
Sorry I do realize this issue has been discussed in the past and I have read some of them, but I am not able to find the right resolution or determine what my pool configuration is. It's been a while since I created the pool and was not paying attention to the requirements. Thank you.

ISSUE: I would like to replace any one of the 2TB disks with a 4TB disk.

When attempting to take a disk (not corrupted) offline: Pools -> Pool Operations -> Status -> Offline -> Offline Disk -> Confirm:

I get an error message:

CallError

[EZFS_NOREPLICAS] no valid replicas

zpool status results:

Last login: Tue Jun 20 18:55:16 on pts/12

FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p7 n245428-4dfb91682c1 TRUENAS

TrueNAS (c) 2009-2023, iXsystems, Inc.

All rights reserved.

TrueNAS code is released under the modified BSD license with some

files copyrighted by (c) iXsystems, Inc.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:

Welcome to FreeNAS

Warning: the supported mechanisms for making configuration changes

are the TrueNAS WebUI and API exclusively. ALL OTHERS ARE

NOT SUPPORTED AND WILL RESULT IN UNDEFINED BEHAVIOR AND MAY

RESULT IN SYSTEM FAILURE.

root@PROLIANT:~ # zpool status

pool: MyNAS

state: ONLINE

status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.

The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.

action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,

the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support

the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.

scan: scrub repaired 0B in 19:49:47 with 0 errors on Sun Jun 18 19:49:56 2023

config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

MyNAS ONLINE 0 0 0

gptid/2074d41a-bbd1-11e6-a233-00262d01f860 ONLINE 0 0 0

gptid/b10710d6-c237-11e6-a544-00262d01f860 ONLINE 0 0 0

gptid/388d8965-ae6b-11e9-9bf2-9418823802ac ONLINE 0 0 0

gptid/5394403f-ca0c-11ea-9f36-9418823802ac ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot

state: ONLINE

status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.

The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.

action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,

the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support

the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.

scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:34:30 with 0 errors on Tue Jun 20 04:19:30 2023

config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

Freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0

Da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

Errors: no known data errors

root@PROLIANT; ~ #

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's hard to read your output (next time consider using the CODE tags) but it looks like you have four disks with no redundancy. You cannot offline a disk in a nonredundant pool until you provide redundancy, such as changing the vdev you wish to replace into a mirror vdev.

madin3

Dabbler
Sorry about that. Thanks for your response. So how does one change the vdev to replace into a mirror vdev? Nervous about losing data with incorrect process. Is it "add vdevs" If you can please point me to section in the TrueNAS document. That would be very helpful. Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry about that. Thanks for your response. So how does one change the vdev to replace into a mirror vdev? Nervous about losing data with incorrect process. Is it "add vdevs" If you can please point me to section in the TrueNAS document. That would be very helpful. Thanks

It's one of the things I'm not sure is documented, because it's relatively unusual to have a pool without protection. There are discussions here in the forum about it, but don't trust the older ones. It's something in the Storage->Pools->Pool Status. I know that if you already have mirror vdevs, you just click on the tridot menu, select extend, and select the new device. It doesn't offer extend for single devices, and I think there's something else you have to do. But I don't have a CORE testbox available right now.

madin3

Dabbler
It's one of the things I'm not sure is documented, because it's relatively unusual to have a pool without protection. There are discussions here in the forum about it, but don't trust the older ones. It's something in the Storage->Pools->Pool Status. I know that if you already have mirror vdevs, you just click on the tridot menu, select extend, and select the new device. It doesn't offer extend for single devices, and I think there's something else you have to do. But I don't have a CORE testbox available right now.
Yes I looked into that and it does ask for "New Disk" to extend on a single device. However all four bays are occupied at 83% and catch-22 does not allow me to offline any one disk. So I'm stuck. Not sure how to get past the single device extend limitation.