Extended Attributes size limit (64k?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPP

Cadet
I see that 9.2.x is allowing the Mac OS (via SMB) to store metadata without using (._) dot underscore files, which is a great feature in a shared Mac/Windows environment.

Our shop frequently encounters files that contain legacy resource fork data, which isn't always being preserved when transferred to FreeNAS. Here are two sample files as they look on my Mac's filesysytem:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 myuser SHOP\Domain Users 64932 Sep 2 2014 picture.tif
com.apple.FinderInfo 32
com.apple.ResourceFork 54414
-rw-r--r--@ 1 myuser SHOP\Domain Users 52398 Jan 30 2013 picture.jpg
com.apple.FinderInfo 32
com.apple.ResourceFork 67352

The resource fork metadata is the icon preview. When copied to FreeNAS, the first file's preview is preserved (under 64k), the second isn't (over 64k).

This isn't a big deal for this kind of file, but we also have legacy fonts which are entirely made of metadata, a lot of which is over 64k.

Is there a way to increase or eliminate this EA size limit?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think that ZFS can handle metadata larger than 64k. This may be a samba issue. You might have better luck asking about this on the samba mailing lists. There is currently a discussion going on regarding this topic here: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-September/184761.html

Apparently Samba 4.2 will ship with a new VFS module specifically for handling resource forks. Sorry I can't be of much more help :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Status
Not open for further replies.