Extend USB Drive Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans2k6

Dabbler
Hi,

is there maybe an easy way of making the USB partitions bigger?
I running each second day out of space on /var and the server stops running well.

I saw that even when I use a 32gb stick and the installation (from cdrom) is also only using 2GB.

So I googled but it seems a little bit complicated edit the slices. :/

Maybe some knows a easy way?

thanks in advanced.

Whattteva

Wizard
How much RAM does your machine have? Partition size is fixed by design to fit into 2 GB sticks.

Dusan

Guru
So I found now out from another thread that var is in the ram?
can someone confirm?
/conf/base/var/md_size is 327860 ... What das is mean. I would understand 32786 MB (because of the RAM), but what is that size?
Yes, /var (& /tmp & /home, as those are symlinks into /var/...) is backed by a 160MB ramdisk and is recreated on every reboot (i.e. there is no /var on the USB stick). You can either create a cron job to periodically clean up the filesystem, or (if you have plenty of RAM) you can increase the ramdisk size.
To increase the size of the ramdisk you need edit /conf/base/var/md_size and reboot. The value is the number of 512 byte sectors; e.g. the current value is 327860, therefore the ramdisk size is 327860 * 512 bytes = 160MB (the usable space is smaller as some capacity is used by the filesystem structures).

hans2k6

Dabbler
Ok thx,
I will extend the ram first to check if this will help.

I have got 32GB Ram.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ok thx,
I will extend the ram first to check if this will help.

I have got 32GB Ram.
Do you really have 32 GB of system RAM or are you referring to your USB stick that has 32 GB of storage?
I think you may be confusing the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.