Expected Forum Downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey everyone!

Heads up we will be performing maintenance all through this weekend to bring you a better and more reliable forum experience going forward. Please be aware that this will likely lead to downtime this weekend. We expect only minor interruptions but wanted to inform all of you ahead of time.

Thanks!

D

David P. Discher

Hi All - I'm new in the IT role at iX Systems, however been a previous customer, a friend and LONG time FreeBSD SysAdmin.

In a simple request to investigate the status of database backups and I email/URL issue, I discovered a bunch of processes hung in D-State on the database server ... for a long time.

So I did bounce the database server around 10:45pm PDT on Saturday in clear these issues.

However, the hung IO was related to difference entirely different application, not related to the FreeNAS forums. The FreeNAS forums data is safe, and has current, working, and verified backups happening nightly.

For Sunday, I'm hoping to cut over to a new pair of databases servers, that will be dedicated to just the FreeNAS forums, as well as a pair or more of web servers. However, the urgency for this is lowered, since I've verified data integrity. So I may push this into later in the week, when I'm more rested and can have some peer support of my IT team. My hope now, since all the databases are in my mind considered healthy and in known state, I'll be able to do this with near zero downtime.

I also have plans (and approved to do so) create at least mirrors at least on the East and West cost of the USA. When I get time to analyze the usage data, will consider additional world wide locations as well.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Hi All - I'm new in the IT role at iX Systems, however been a previous customer, a friend and LONG time FreeBSD SysAdmin.

In a simple request to investigate the status of database backups and I email/URL issue, I discovered a bunch of processes hung in D-State on the database server ... for a long time.

So I did bounce the database server around 10:45pm PDT on Saturday in clear these issues.

However, the hung IO was related to difference entirely different application, not related to the FreeNAS forums. The FreeNAS forums data is safe, and has current, working, and verified backups happening nightly.

For Sunday, I'm hoping to cut over to a new pair of databases servers, that will be dedicated to just the FreeNAS forums, as well as a pair or more of web servers. However, the urgency for this is lowered, since I've verified data integrity. So I may push this into later in the week, when I'm more rested and can have some peer support of my IT team. My hope now, since all the databases are in my mind considered healthy and in known state, I'll be able to do this with near zero downtime.

I also have plans (and approved to do so) create at least mirrors at least on the East and West cost of the USA. When I get time to analyze the usage data, will consider additional world wide locations as well.

Nice first post David. Thrown into the fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.