Expanding ZFS Pool With vdev Stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rndmnasusr

Cadet
Very noob question about setting up a small FreeNAS server for home use. I'm sure this has been answered before but I searched and read through a number of similar threads (as well as the FAQ presentation) and couldn't quite wrap my head around this.

I created a zpool with 1 vdev of 2x3TB drives mirrored, I then extended the zpool with another vdev of 2x2TB drives. When adding the second vdev I think I wanted to select the "mirror" option in the GUI (creating a RAID10 equivalent) but I selected "stripe" instead. I'm not sure, logically, what this setup looks like now. Is the data in the striped vdev just striped across those 2 drives, such that a hard drive failure in either of them would lose all the data on only those 2 drives? Or does this configuration mean that a failure in either of the 2TB drives will lose the data in the entire zpool?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Caesar

Contributor
I do not fully understand what you have created but I think you have 1 pool with 2 vdevs. vdev1 is a 2 drive mirror. vdev2 is a 2 drive stripe. keep in mind that if either vdev1 or vdev2 fails then so does your pool. That means that you can lose 1 drive from vdev1. losing any drive from vdev2 will lose the data in the entire pool also losing both drives in vdev1 will lose the data in the entire pool

rndmnasusr

Cadet
Yep, that's exactly right and what I needed to know. So I'll blow away the entire zpool and start from scratch creating 2 vdevs of mirrored drives (the original intent).

Thanks for the quick reply, Caesar.

Status
Not open for further replies.