Expanding a 4 disk Vdev with 4 disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRaiu

Cadet
Hi there FreeNAS community!!

Im a new the community and i have quite a predicament.

My NAS is projected for a total of 8 disks, but i have only bought 4 of them as of now.
While reading up on this on various forums i has become apparent to me that expanding a vdev with more disks might be a litte problematic.

So my question is, if it's possible to perhaps create the vdev with something similiar to 4 "ghost" (drives that only exist virtually but dont have any function if this function actually exist) drives so the vdev have all the 8 drives which i had planned for so i can expand it easily in the future.

Or should i hold of on creating the vdev until i have all the drives in my hand?

Another alternative might perhaps be to create two vdev in the pool, each with 4 disks. But wont i be loosing storage capacity using this solution?

Best Regards
TheRaiu

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't create 4 ghost drives. You have to build the vdev with the number of disks you have up front. :(

As for if you will lose storage capacity, that depends on your choice of vdevs. You might or you might not.

TheRaiu

Cadet
Ty cyberjock for replying.

So my fears were confirmed, so ill just have to wait it out until i get the last 4 drives then i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.