Excessive .system Snapshots

awil95

Dabbler
So i've had the folloing alert shown for about 4 months now:
Code:
Dataset Hercules/.system has more snapshots (715) than recommended (512). Performance or functionality might degrade.
2022-02-23 12:59:29 (America/Chicago)

I have since cleaned up my snapshot schedule of my pools as well as deleting a majority of snaps listed in the WebUI. Counting application snaps I typically sit around ~300 snapshots at any point. But this isn't my real concern.

I ran the following command and saved the output to a file and found just over 3k snapshots of .system and it's child datasets.
Code:
zfs list -r -t snapshot -o name,creation Hercules/.system > system-snaps-list.txt

I also looked into how much space these are taking up on my system by running the following.
Code:
zfs list -ro space Hercules/.system > system-snaps-storage.txt

Does anyone have a good recommendation about how to destroy what I would believe is an excessive amount of .system snapshots? I have attached the command output text files if that helps.

Attachments

• system-snaps-list.txt
    311.9 KB · Views: 100
  • system-snaps-storage.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
same problem:

Your system has more snapshots (28610) than recommended (10000). Performance or functionality might degrade.​

following hopefully they get info or a truenas scale update that fix this and to be able to delete old certs :p

indivision

Guru
Last edited:

awil95

Dabbler
same problem:

Your system has more snapshots (28610) than recommended (10000). Performance or functionality might degrade.​

following hopefully they get info or a truenas scale update that fix this and to be able to delete old certs :p
Your error looks more related to an overall excessive amount of snapshots on your system. Go to Storage> Click snapshots on the top right. There you should be able to delete snapshots that are not needed in increments of 100. I used to get this error until I set up a proper snapshot schedule with expirations for my main pools.

My error is specifically for the .system dataset. The GUI does not show you these snapshots at all.

Last edited: