Ethernet not being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjstaab

Cadet
I just put together a new FreeNAS box but it's not picking up my ethernet adapter. It works in a linux live cd, but not FreeNAS. Where should I start to fix this?

D

dlavigne

Paste the output of ifconfig. Also, do you know what chipset it uses or the make and model of the NIC?

Pjstaab

Cadet
Intel® I218V lan controller, H97 chipset. I'll grab ifconfig output after work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep.. I217V is not supported in RELEASE versions of FreeNAS at this time.

This also means you are likely using desktop components (bad idea), which also means you don't have ECC RAM (another bad idea) and probably didn't give our stickies a good read (yet another bad idea).

I'd stop and figure out what you are actually doing. This smells of "I'm gonna have major problems later and I may lose my data" written all over it.

Pjstaab

Cadet
Yep.. I217V is not supported in RELEASE versions of FreeNAS at this time.

This also means you are likely using desktop components (bad idea), which also means you don't have ECC RAM (another bad idea) and probably didn't give our stickies a good read (yet another bad idea).

I'd stop and figure out what you are actually doing. This smells of "I'm gonna have major problems later and I may lose my data" written all over it.
Most of the usage of this box is for a plex server of my movie and tv show collection, personal and non mission critical stuff. Would you recommend just making a linux box then or what? I had a box running in the past I scraped together from some old builds to give it a try but i'm not looking to put together a server that ends up costing more than my desktop just to stream the occasional movie or tv show.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't recommend anything. Everything is a risk vs reward. To me I wouldn't be doing what you are doing, but what is right for you is totally up to you. It's like asking what kind of car you should buy. I can't really help you with that as its very much a personal choice based on your needs and wants.

Knowltey

Patron

Knowltey

Patron
I saw that a little late, I did some cursory searching and didn't come up with anything so I asked.

Yet you still haven't provided the proper information.

Status
Not open for further replies.